Notices

Engine Technical Question

Search this Thread

Old 17 August 2013, 06:30 PM
pagey1976
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Technical Question

Hi this is my first forum post and since I brought an Impreza off a fellow member thought I would register and keep the car on the community forum. I brought an ex BRD Development vehicle owned by Bob himself from bigbaz1974.

https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-444...m-blobeye.html

Anyway I have a major project of my own currently being under taken and was wondering whether the more knowledgeable experts / traders would like to share their expertise with a little issue i have.

I am currently shoe horning an Impreza engine, gearbox and drive train into a mk1 golf gti tin top. The donor car was a version 1 WRX Impreza which when I purchased it was fine and completely drivable (no blue smoke). I thought these engines were pretty bulletproof and was only going to give the engine a little refresh (value seals, piston rings etc..). However during a little delay which I had unforeseen regarding suspension mounts from Impreza to golf to which I have had to employ the expertise of GAZ Shocks to completely develop a new set of shocks for me. I decided to strip the bottom end down of the Impreza engine and to my horror I have discovered the left bank set of con rods have worn a grove about 2mm deep around the crank is this normal for the older engine??

I believe the engine is centre thrust my question is shall I just scrap the engine and start again or shall I rebuild the current engine I have. I wasn't planning running monster power as the power to weight ratio is going to pretty bonkers when I'm finished however now the current engine is shot it would be rude not to. I was planning to use the car as a daily driver however since I bought the ex BRD development car my plans have changed and I was going to now stick a sequential gearbox in it and use it as a track car.

Would any engine builders give me some advise and perhaps offer their services etc.. I was from the dark side (skyline owner) so I'm not a complete idiot but I really do not know much about the boxer engine other then the pistons go left and right and not up and down

Regards

Stuart