Notices

remap for uprated headers

Search this Thread

Old 04 August 2013, 05:26 PM
slash920
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default remap for uprated headers

would i require a remap on a classic 94 wrx if headers and up pipe are fitted aftermarket??

if so what about just a uprated up pipe??

thanks
Old 04 August 2013, 08:04 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Yep, defiantly needs a remap, more to the point why do you need headers? Or have you already modded the car? They're not really needed till about 400bhp, and if they are eBay headers don't bother as they are VERY poor, do a search on them.
Old 05 August 2013, 04:52 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Easy chap, he's asked the question headers and up pipe or just uprated up pipe.
Up pipe is definitely worth doing - Harvey ones (AS Performance) are a great choice and will improve torque.
Harvey headers or ported standard headers are helpful; good quality tubular headers (as stated above) will help you in the upper 300's onward although you need a bigger turbo (18/20g) to take better advantage of them.

eBay or similar one piece headers and anything with flexi join are ****e and should be avoided at all costs.
Old 06 August 2013, 11:12 PM
slash920
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the reply. Looks like ill just be going for a up pipe for now. Can't afford re maps as of yet.

eBay up pipes generally regarded as ****e too? Can get one for 54 quid on there.

Did have a chat with local Motorsport guy who said just a up pipe alone would not require a up pipe.

My standard up pipe has failed hence the change. ATM I don't know for any standard ones for sale.
Old 07 August 2013, 06:45 AM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by slash920
Thanks for the reply. Looks like ill just be going for a up pipe for now. Can't afford re maps as of yet.

eBay up pipes generally regarded as ****e too? Can get one for 54 quid on there.

Did have a chat with local Motorsport guy who said just a up pipe alone would not require a up pipe.

My standard up pipe has failed hence the change. ATM I don't know for any standard ones for sale.
Three things.
First, whoever told you changing the up pipe won't require a remap is talking out of their **** *if* your car has an up pipe with cats in.
If you swap it and its not like for like the flow will be different, so stating it won't is unfortunately inaccurate.
If you can't afford a remap swap like for like. Which brings is to...

Second, a decent breaker is likely to have some second hand wrx or STI up pipes. I'd recommend Scott at Scoobyspares, but you have Matty @ pole position and Saj at jap performance parts.

Third, eBay stuff tends to be ****e period, whatever you're buying. Shiny does not always equal good I'm afraid! I would most certainly avoid all 'new' ebay up pipes and headers like the plague, most as I already said have flexi join and are not fit for purpose and will fail after a few months.

Last edited by MrNoisy; 07 August 2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 24 August 2013, 11:10 AM
BHPvstorque
Scooby Regular

Got an rcm uppipe not sure if it is 2 or 3 bolt will check but let me know if interested. Looking for £55 posted to the UK.