2004 sti slow to start

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2013, 06:12 PM
foxy scoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 sti slow to start

Hey people...

My car is a toy only used weekends so dont move much...

Went to start wednesday night to move it and didnt want to start really took around 6 to 7 seconds and strong smell of fuel...

Since bought i have put new plugs, oil filter, fuel filter, new vf35, fitted boost gauge so wondering if its a vacuum leak as when i had by mistake the wrong one on actuator i wasnt hitting full boost now its the correct way car seems not want to start... same again today and my battery has been tested

Forgot to add once initial start out the way she is all good fires up every time mint

Last edited by foxy scoob; 26 July 2013 at 06:19 PM.
Old 26 July 2013, 06:37 PM
Kedlestone
Scooby Regular

Sounds a bit like alarm draining the battery to me, I have similar issues when mine is left standing for a number of days. Although I would say mine doesn't take 7 seconds to fire up, maybe 5 at a guess. If I'm correct the fuel smell could just be whatever's left in the cylinders and system as it tends to settle when you have a boxer design engine.
Old 26 July 2013, 06:39 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

If your just moving it and switching off without letting it warm up? Its probably flooded. Quite common on lots of make/model cars. its takes around 10mins Running for the fuel to burn off that the ecu has put in for cold start. start it from cold once or twice and just move it quickly and switch off isnt ideal. Means theres loads of fuel in the bores. Hence the fuel smell
Old 27 July 2013, 11:24 AM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

could also just be a weak starter motor.
Old 27 July 2013, 03:29 PM
foxy scoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Turbotits
If your just moving it and switching off without letting it warm up? Its probably flooded. Quite common on lots of make/model cars. its takes around 10mins Running for the fuel to burn off that the ecu has put in for cold start. start it from cold once or twice and just move it quickly and switch off isnt ideal. Means theres loads of fuel in the bores. Hence the fuel smell
Think your right mate...

Drove car yesterday and put back in garden after drive. Started first thing this morning.