Notices

Can a damaged CAT affect turbo spool?

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2013, 09:54 PM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Can a damaged CAT affect turbo spool?

Hi guys, I'm hoping somebody can shed some light on my problem. I'll try and be as brief as possible with the history of it - I had an overfuelling/rich running issue for about 3 or 4 months (to the point where a full tank would only get me about 170 miles, and that was driving like a granny completely off boost all the time aswell!). While I was trying to solve it, I read at some point that when a car is running rich it can damage the catalytic converter? (My centre section is decatted, and I have a ninja sports cat downpipe). So if that's correct, then I'm guessing with a few months of running that rich, it's safe to say my ninja is probably knackered? Now the fuelling problem has been solved (new injectors) and I've had the car mapped, I've got sooo much turbo lag Strangely, we didn't really notice this when it was being mapped, so I haven't asked mapper about it yet. Was just wondering if the cat in the downpipe did turn out to be knackered, could that be affecting the turbo spool? I've got a VF35 turbo, which from what I was googling earlier should see full boost at around 3,200rpm, and I'm not getting it til about 4,800rpm Car just feels completely dead around town compared to what it used to be