Notices

High milage and WRX's

Search this Thread

Old 21 May 2002, 09:23 AM
lucky_strike
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm looking to get my first Impreza, new import through Car Supermarket type of arrangement I think.

But, I do about 25000 miles a year (and a lot of it is stop/start on the M6 and M62 car parks). Will the standard WRX take this without too many problems (clutch?)... Wouldn't be looking to thrash it around on track days (well I might be tempted) just motorway and the odd bash around the country lanes.

Would the STi Type UK be any better or worse (I read reports saying to stay away from the STi if you do a lot of motorway driving?).

Thanks.
Old 21 May 2002, 10:29 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm having the 30k service done on Saturday on my 01 WRX (March 01) so I am guessing quite high mileage car.

I have burnt the clutch out, though that was more down to stupid driving and not really thinking about the wear on it.

Remember to take it out of gear at lights, us the hand brake on hills (instead of clutch balancing) and try to remember not to lift off slowly if you are launching!

The clutch shouldn't, according to Subaru, burn out as quickly as mine did. So down to driver error and believe after the cost of the replacement I am certainly not making the same mistakes again.

Apart the clutch and a very uncommon damper failure there have been major no problems with the mileage the car has covered.

I'm just glad I'm moving to the 10k service interval!