Notices

Engine Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2013, 09:30 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Removal?

It seems to be going a little too well.....?

Can anyone run through what needs to be done so I can check
I've used this guide - http://www.rs25.com/forums/f105/t632...e-removal.html but where it says to remove the "trans bolts" I can't match the picture below up on my car...

I realise the guide was on an RS. Any help would be appreciated before I book the hire of the hoist

Last edited by Kwik; 25 June 2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 24 June 2013, 09:32 PM
Scooby Regular

I dunno but by your picture you've taken a lot of stuff off you don't need to! Unless you're breaking the car that is?

I didn't need to touch any bolts under the driveshafts, you just need your bellhousing bolts/nuts and the two engine mount bolts under the subframe and it should lift out if you've got all other wiring and hoses disconnected?
Old 24 June 2013, 09:52 PM
jayallen
Scooby Regular

Hammer and screwdriver in true Kwik fashion...
Old 24 June 2013, 10:05 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bottom one is a stud and nut ( same on the other side of the bellhousing ) and you wont have the upper arrowed bolt if yours is a Version 1~4.

Mick
Old 25 June 2013, 05:47 AM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Guest
I dunno but by your picture you've taken a lot of stuff off you don't need to! Unless you're breaking the car that is?

I didn't need to touch any bolts under the driveshafts, you just need your bellhousing bolts/nuts and the two engine mount bolts under the subframe and it should lift out if you've got all other wiring and hoses disconnected?
What did I not need to remove?

Originally Posted by jayallen
Hammer and screwdriver in true Kwik fashion...
I've upgraded my tool kit ....

Originally Posted by merlin24
Bottom one is a stud and nut ( same on the other side of the bellhousing ) and you wont have the upper arrowed bolt if yours is a Version 1~4.

Mick
OK I'll look tonight cheers Mick. What's the clutch release procedure I hear about?
Old 25 June 2013, 06:21 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On the right hand side of the gear box as you look from the front of the car, you'll see what looks like a bung with an allen key centre, you need to remove said bung and insert one of your longer M8 bolts I think ( they are the ones you use a 10mm spanner on) what your doing is screwing it in to the clutch fork pivot rod jobbie, just get it in 4/5 turns of the thread, you'll know it's in because it won't want to come out, then you need to wiggle it and pull it out to release the clutch fork, it's just a long rod basically, can be a bit stiff but it does come out.

There are vids on youtube, and don't forget to support the gear box with a trolly jack when your taking the engine out.

Oh and lol at how much you've stripped it, I made the same mistake I bet you've been at that a few hours.

Last edited by ditchmyster; 25 June 2013 at 06:30 AM.
Old 25 June 2013, 06:34 AM
**jay**
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Lol you could have left the bumper and headlights on, there is not much that needs removing to lift the engine out.

Trending Topics

Old 25 June 2013, 03:59 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
On the right hand side of the gear box as you look from the front of the car, you'll see what looks like a bung with an allen key centre, you need to remove said bung and insert one of your longer M8 bolts I think ( they are the ones you use a 10mm spanner on) what your doing is screwing it in to the clutch fork pivot rod jobbie, just get it in 4/5 turns of the thread, you'll know it's in because it won't want to come out, then you need to wiggle it and pull it out to release the clutch fork, it's just a long rod basically, can be a bit stiff but it does come out.

There are vids on youtube, and don't forget to support the gear box with a trolly jack when your taking the engine out.

Oh and lol at how much you've stripped it, I made the same mistake I bet you've been at that a few hours.
Cheers Ditch. I'm getting rid of the air con anyway and the front bumper either needs a spray or replacing I haven't decided yet. I'll probably look at some crystal headlights as well, and I have a front mount to fit so the rad etc needs to come off anyway. Its been a few hours work all right, what with putting little stickers and numbers on parts so I know where they go back and taking pictures of just about every movement i've made. While It's been coming apart i've considered respraying the engine bay so the more that comes out the better, as long as I remember where it all goes.
Any pictures of where i can find these "trans bolts"? .

Originally Posted by **jay**
Lol you could have left the bumper and headlights on, there is not much that needs removing to lift the engine out.
Old 26 June 2013, 06:58 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

I've not read your guide as I can't be arsed , there is no secret to getting it out other than the clutch fork release, look under the car where the engine mounts are and undo them and the 4 bolts in the bell housing and it will lift straight out with a bit of giggery pokery.

How much you paying to hire an engine hoist, because it's probably cheaper to buy one off ebay for £130 then when you've done with it stick it back on ebay as opposed to renting twice and delivery or going to collect and return twice, you may even find one cheaper you can do the same with an engine stand too.

Unless it's a tenner a pop.
Old 26 June 2013, 04:41 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

I've not read your guide as I can't be arsed , there is no secret to getting it out other than the clutch fork release, look under the car where the engine mounts are and undo them and the 4 bolts in the bell housing and it will lift straight out with a bit of giggery pokery.

How much you paying to hire an engine hoist, because it's probably cheaper to buy one off ebay for £130 then when you've done with it stick it back on ebay as opposed to renting twice and delivery or going to collect and return twice, you may even find one cheaper you can do the same with an engine stand too.

Unless it's a tenner a pop.
If the mechanic at work was in any way reasonable he could either lend me his or pop round with it and help me. But he doesn't do anything for free, even for a score he won't do it (and he lives in the same town).

I'm on the lookout for one, but theres no rush until the engine stand arrives. Going rate is about £40 per day to hire. Might just get this....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Hydrau...item1c30d1a5e4

Last edited by Kwik; 26 June 2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 26 June 2013, 08:21 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kwik
If the mechanic at work was in any way reasonable he could either lend me his or pop round with it and help me. But he doesn't do anything for free, even for a score he won't do it (and he lives in the same town).

I'm on the lookout for one, but theres no rush until the engine stand arrives. Going rate is about £40 per day to hire. Might just get this....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Hydrau...item1c30d1a5e4
Thats what I did, because I didn't fancy the grief of being under pressure to do it in a day and get it back or pay charges, may as well own one then when you don't need it stick it back on the bay, second hand ones go for similar money.
Old 30 June 2013, 06:18 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Like so...