Bit Of Help Needed For A Newbie - Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07 May 2013, 06:07 PM
orangemuffin
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bit Of Help Needed For A Newbie - Suspension

Hi Guys,

Fresh and new to impreza ownership and after a bit of help. Ive had a look through the search history and cant find anything so have had to resort to registering and asking.

I picked up the below car 2 weeks ago.

It wasnt in the best of shapes when I picked it up but the majority of jobs to be done have been ticked off the to do list.....But I am have having major issues with the rear rims. There basically to big for the car...Its not on coilovers so I cant raise it and at the moment due to a locking wheel nut issue I can only get the drivers side rear wheel off. The springs just look like normal ones too and even if they were after market it does have quite a decent drop. The 18's are really up in the arches causing major rubbing issues.

I am use to driving lowered cars, all my life ive driven slammed dubs and thats pretty much why I am asking becuase I have no Subaru knowledge at all.

Is there any DIY lowering effort that may have been carried out on the car ?

I spent yesterday taking the inside lip out of the arch to no resolve. My next step is heating them up and rolling them out but just wondering if its worth me buying some second hand stock springs and seeing if it resolves to stupid ride height issue. Any ideas ?

Also, if anyone knows anything about this history of it then please shout up....Such a cracking car (bar this issue)

Old 08 May 2013, 01:25 PM
wrxyz
Scooby Regular

Welcome to Subaru ownership!!
TBH not quite sure what you are asking here.... it looks like the rear of the car is way too low, im guessing this has been done just for looks; Impreza's do not handle better when lowered by more than around 20mm.
Options are:
lowering springs
broken springs
home made chopped springs
some weird and dangerous damage to the spring platform/s.

I cant see the size of the wheels but they look like 17/18s both should fit fine.
If you have the cash I would look at getting another set of springs you know are good and fit them. If cash is tight I am sure if you put up a wanted for stock STi springs you will get a set for pennies.
Essentially the springs/platforms set the ride height so any issues with the height gotta be there.
Old 08 May 2013, 02:58 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

As above. My bet would be aftermarket springs.

I'd lose those and the 18's if that's what they are.

Better ride quality and better handling on standard height springs and at maximum 17's.
Old 08 May 2013, 03:15 PM
legacy_gtb
Scooby Regular

Looks far too low to me, but its hard to tell from the pics!

First job whatever you do is to have the stuck lockers removed, that way you'll get a much better idea of whats going on in there as it stands!

If youve come from the VW scene, then your probably more interested in this "stance" malarky than handling, but best performance is found on 17's instead of 18's, and a drop of no more than 15 to 20mm unless youve got rollcentre adjust kit fitted.

Nice wagon by the way.
Old 09 May 2013, 08:38 AM
orangemuffin
Scooby Regular

Hi Chaps,

Massive thanks for your response.

Apologies, reading my post back it does seem to have comeout as a garbled mess of my own ramblimgs.

It handles like a absolute bag of nails in truth. From moresearching around and reading of threads I’d say it’s been lowered on springs…..justnot very well.

Ive managed to grab some stock rear springs from a Wagon that’sbeing broken by me for £30 so going to stick them on and go from there.

Wheels are 18 – 8.5J….I’m happy to keep them short term if Ican resolve the rubbing issue.

Some of the things I am finding with this car really makesme wonder what the previous owner was playing at.