Notices

odd boost valve readings and possible lack of boost

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2013, 06:56 AM
fent
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default odd boost valve readings and possible lack of boost

I've been getting odd readings from my boost valve recently but last night I'm sure I noticed a lack of boost too. will give it a proper test today as I have only experienced it driving home in commuter traffic.

Symptom 1
boost valve sticks at 0 position
I have checked the vacuum pipe and it is split and damaged so this will be replaced

symptom 2
temp repair on vacuum pipe done and needle moved up and down freely but only within the negative range, it does not ready any positive boost

symptom 3
not sure if this is just me being paranoid but I drive 45 mins home from work in traffic taking it easy for most of the drive apart from a short spell where I can put my foot down a little, I don't go mad as its only 5 mins from home so I would be cooling the engine down anyway. When I get home sometimes the engine is ticking away as if it has been driven hard. I've checked oil and water and both are ok? The water temp gauge always reads the same normal temperature so I assume there is no overheating. With the weather the way it has been I have had my heaters on hot and I do get alot of warm engine smell coming through

so questions

1) Is there anything I can easily check (I'm no mechanic) that would cause lack of boost (will do this once vacuum pipe is ruled out)

2)Is there anything I can do re the engine temperature checks to narrow down issues? If this does go in for checks I'd like to be able to give them a good starting point rather than saying is smells warm and ticks a lot.

car is a standard 2003 WRX

Cheers

mark

Last edited by fent; 27 April 2013 at 11:03 AM. Reason: added car details
Old 27 April 2013, 12:43 PM
Turner Tronics
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My impreza 95-96 does the same after a 10 min drive it knocks and cracks like ive been ragging it all over,ill be watching this for my car as well