Notices

Elec Mirrror switch from centre console to door card

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2013, 10:35 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elec Mirrror switch from centre console to door card

Has anybody updated the interior in their bug or blob eye to the hawkeye interior (Inc door cards) and got the electric mirror switch working on the door card? (Doing away with the original electric mirror switch)

I have the later door cards from a hawk eye in my bug and I also have the newer switchgear too but I still have the original (bug eye) electric mirror switch tucked down the side of the passenger seat and want to get rid of this and get the switch working on my door card (This has the integrated electric mirror switch as well as the window switches).

I know the plug in connectors are different for the electric mirrors and I do have the new connectors too so I'm just looking to find out if anybody has done this and what wires connect from my loom to the new multi plug?

Thanks

Nick
Old 25 April 2013, 11:08 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Can you not remove the plug from the central switch, identify which wire does what, then extend the wires and take them to the door switch?

It'll be a bit of work, but certainly do-able.

You'd need a circuit tester and possibly a multi-meter.
Old 26 April 2013, 12:32 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info mate. I'm no expert on wiring so I'll speak to the brother in law although I know I'm gonna have to chop the multi connector off my mirror switch, extend the cabling and then connect the multi plug from the newer mirror switch...

A guy on here (Can't remember his name now) had the wiring diagrams for the bug and the hawk as he'd done the same mod on his car. I just wish I could remember his username!

Cheers

Last edited by NickAdams; 26 April 2013 at 12:49 AM.
Old 26 April 2013, 09:18 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

He might see this.

Be careful chopping off the plug, it IS possible to use a sharp point to get the pins to release from it, they may then be useful IN the other plug.

It's how I did my electric folding mirrors on a classic, used a couple of spare plugs off a Legacy.
Old 26 April 2013, 10:00 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i did it, i just extended the wires to the door panel and bought a switch with a cut of part of loom so i had the connector and joined the wires.

i also got a jdm switch and added folding mirrors.
Old 28 April 2013, 12:20 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the post guys!

Tubbytommy - Do the colours of the wires match up when you join both looms? (As in the loom from the new switch to the loom of the car wiring)

Cheers

Last edited by NickAdams; 28 April 2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 02 July 2013, 12:30 PM
Mark10sti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NickAdams
Thanks for the post guys!

Tubbytommy - Do the colours of the wires match up when you join both looms? (As in the loom from the new switch to the loom of the car wiring)

Cheers
The very question i was wanting an answer to aswell
Old 03 July 2013, 12:36 AM
NickAdams
Scooby Regular

Right Mark, you're in luck cos after finding the wiring diagrams on the internet I did this modification a couple of months ago...

There are 7 wires to connect up in total (You should be able to get 7 core cable from a local motor factors like I did)

Yellow/Red -> Yellow/Red
Light green -> Light green
Red/blue -> Red/blue
Red -> Red
Blue/Red -> Blue/Red
Red/black -> Red/black
Black -> Black

You should find on the cable that runs from the newer connector block (By this I mean the connector block that connects to the electric mirror switch for the later car) that you have 2 wires left over. I can't remember the colours of these now but I think one was yellow but you'll identify them because the colours won't be in the list above.

I also soldered the joints at both ends (Inside the car and in the door) and everything works spot on!!!

You'll also have fun trying to feed the 7 core cable through the rubber sleeve that runs between the door and the car. I ended up having to slice mine in places so I could get the cable through but once I'd fitted the big rubber grommets back in place I just wrapped insulating tape around the sleeve (You don't notice it anyway when the door opens/closes!)

Good luck

Nick

Last edited by NickAdams; 03 July 2013 at 12:42 AM.