Power Steering Pump Help

Search this Thread

Old 10 March 2013, 08:59 AM
alessio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Pump Help

Good morning, all

I need some help to move forward with my car - currently a bit confused and frustrated with the power steering pump(s).The car is a MY98 LHD Turbo.

Background - the PS pump that was on the car started to leak so I replaced it with a used one from a breaker's. Drove for 1000 km with no issues (engine break-in after rebuild) but then last weekend took the car to an ice track and after a couple of short laps there was a lot of whine from under the bonnet and, well, a fire extinguisher had to be used...

Took the second pump apart and surprisingly it's a completely different design to the one that came with the car! Also there were signs that there was air in the system because the oil had foamed up. In the pictures below the original is on the right, the replacement is on the left.

Rear housing 1

Rear housing 2. The actual "pump part" comes off together with the shaft on the second pump, I just put it here for the picture

Front housing. The second pump uses no bearing in its design! Also the oil seal is much smaller and there are spiral grooves cut into the shaft housing.

Frount housing 2. The original has no pressure sensor

Shafts.

Original label

Second pump label

So here are my problems and issues.

Can anyone identify whether the "original" is correct for my car?

What car (year, version) do you think the second pump came from?

Which is better to rebuild and use? I have most of the things needed to rebuild the original and to me it seems like a better design but I can be wrong.

I also got these parts from Subaru a while ago - before I decided to go for a replacement and not a rebuild - and there are a couple of issues with these too.

The large gasket (p/n 34425AA020) definitley does not fit my pump even though the dealership sold it to me based on the VIN code. Does anyone have the correct part number for the gasket that would fit?

Also I cannot figure out where o-ring p/n 34427AA020 is supposed to go. Any ideas?

In addition, there was a noticeable amount of dirt in the return line strainer and it reacted to the magnet so these are shavings from somewhere. The strainer in the original pump was nice and clean so I have no idea if this points to a larger problem with my car or if something went wrong on the car that the second pump came from.

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance for the help.

Cheers,
Alex