Notices

Another cry for help please!

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2013, 08:27 PM
UK300Terry
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another cry for help please!

Guys, right after having a 3rd mechanic tell me what could be wrong with my steering (seems they don't want to actually look)I've lost the will to live

I thought I'd see if one of you kind people could help (before I buy the whole of the front end, because each mechanic mentioned every possible part could be the problem)

Its a UK300 (Bugeye) and it pulls to the left all the time even though the tracking and 4 wheel alignments been done and checked twice. Also the steering, although it doesn't appear to have play, its vague or woolly. I've had new tyres, new discs and refurbished 4 pots and suspension (not lowered) with no obvious broken components and there are no knocking noises etc.

Any ideas where I should look please? Any advice would be very much appreciated
Old 03 March 2013, 08:47 PM
wiggy1
Scooby Regular

Check the uj! Drivers side in the engine bay just bear your turbo, that could possible cause the problem! If its not that I would say its likely to be a new steering rack! Hope this helps wigs
Old 03 March 2013, 11:11 PM
Techno-P
Scooby Regular

I had the problem on my classic, turns out i had lost one of the spigot rings (goes on the hub and makes your alloy sit properly)..
I had mine tracked and laser aligned before all of that, along with being told it was my tyres.
Changed tyres, same problem. took all the wheels off and looked at them thoroughly, yep, spigot ring gone on one of them - must have fallen off one of the times before i took my wheels off.
Old 03 March 2013, 11:20 PM
360ste
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Considering the age of the car, you probably have play in the suspension bushes. Thus when static the wheel alignment can be setup accurately but once the car is moving then the angles will change. I fitted powerflex bushing to my bug all round about 7 years ago and after fitting and getting the alignment re-done it became and still is excellent on handling.
Old 04 March 2013, 07:23 PM
UK300Terry
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys for the feedback. I'll check all your suggestions

Fingers crossed