Newbie needing help

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2013, 08:38 AM
Jafo666
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie needing help

Hi everyone,

First of all my name is James and i'm from Nottingham and i've just got my first Impreza, its a WRX (Couldn't see a place to introduce myself lol)

Got a couple of questions:

Got a knock from the rear, i've looked around to forum and seen strut top mounts and rear arb links are common, however got a nasty feeling mine could possibly be diff because when I'm accelerating it doesn't feel completely smooth but its hard to tell with the rumble of the engine, but i notice this knock at low speeds and stopping / pulling off, also feels like the back end drops / lifts when coming to a complete stop or pulling off. However sometimes its worse than overs which i can't get my head round.

When idling for a while i notice a whitish smoke which when i rev looks blueish (oil) but i haven't noticed it whilst driving on / off boost etc. just when idling.

Lack of power, i've come from a 280bhp astra GSi to this WRX and it feels sluggish like the turbo is the size of a a tennis ball lol, as far as i know the map is standard but it looks like it has a bigger intercooler (possibly STi) and has been de-catted.

Looks like the owners before me were't so bothered about the servicing & maintaining like i am lol, also when do cam belts need doing? Can't find any paperwork regarding this!

So before i do a FULL service i wanna make sure something more important doesn't need doing first, could anyone possibly give me some info on the above?

Thanks people, sorry for the essay
Old 03 March 2013, 08:48 AM
Forged90
Scooby Regular

hey mate, i'd suggest taking it to a subaru workshop and get them to look it over - it's probably the easiest thing to do at this stage.

The knock is more than likely going to be the diff. it could be a simple issue where replacing diff fluids could do the trick or you'll need to replace the entire system.

Oil could be multiple issues. if you haven't noticed any while driving then it's safe to say the turbo is still ok. you could have a leak in the heads or a leak somewhere along the exhaust

lack of power is more than likely due to the air/fuel ratios being a little out of whack due to the car running the standard map.

get it checked out and tuned and she'll be running like a dream
Old 03 March 2013, 08:54 AM
Jafo666
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the quick reply, yeah i think i'm gonna get it checked over at a local place called "Scooby Clinic"

It has a boost gauge, what should these boost to on standard maps?

Thanks
Old 03 March 2013, 08:57 AM
Forged90
Scooby Regular

standard map should read on or around 13psi (~0.8bar)

take into consideration that if the mods have been installed without tuning i'd say it won't be an uncommon sight to see less then that

Last edited by Forged90; 03 March 2013 at 08:58 AM.