Notices

MOT Advisories

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2013, 10:35 AM
tomo2323
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MOT Advisories

So I had my MOT done back in December for my bugeye.... Only two advisories but it was too cold and miserable at the time to investigate! So with a bit of sun out I took out the ramps and jack to take a look.

First major one is "Offside (inner weeping grease) Front constant velocity joint gaiter deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt"

This was spot on actually and from the picture below you can see what it means! Firstly, does this need replacement or will it be ok for 6 months? Secondarily if it does should I go for a genuine Subaru boot or one for a tenner at Euro Car Parts? Lastly it looks a bitch to fit, I have axle stands and a jack but its not ideal, so would it be worth booking it into Subaru for this one?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The second advisory was - "Rear (both sides) Anti-roll bar linkage rubber bush deteriorated but not resulting in excessive play"

Now this one is not obvious to me. The bushes that hold the bar in the clamp seem fine, the arms that attach to the end of the bar seem fine, and with a pry bar there is no movement. I really dont get where the tester was coming from, I mean nothing looks perished either! .....any ideas?

Cheers guys
Old 22 February 2013, 11:16 AM
Dan-
Scooby Regular

for the 2nd advisory it will the ball joint has worn, when you have it off the car you will see what he means it will be lose and spin about in the socket
Old 22 February 2013, 11:19 AM
tomo2323
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan-
for the 2nd advisory it will the ball joint has worn, when you have it off the car you will see what he means it will be lose and spin about in the socket
Cheers Dan, that is useful

Think its worth doing now or leave it? I cant see it causing issues at the moment and no knocks going over bumps etc... I guess that is a main dealer part only. Have you replaced before?

Thanks
Old 22 February 2013, 01:15 PM
drummog
Scooby Regular

I replaced the droplink on the back of my Hawkeye with an after market part.
Just replaced it did not worry too much if it would last for a while.

eddie
Old 22 February 2013, 01:22 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Aftermarket cv boots are OK just make sure you get ones with proper stainless steel securing bands....the ones suplpied with plastic cable ties break as they go brittle with age.

I use Bailcast branded boots, nice and stretchy, but they do need a good boot fitting tool.
Old 22 February 2013, 01:23 PM
tomo2323
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by drummog
I replaced the droplink on the back of my Hawkeye with an after market part.
Just replaced it did not worry too much if it would last for a while.

eddie
Just looked up the part on Euro car parts... the stabilizers are £40 each!! Think I might wait until they go completely, doesn't seem dangerous just leaving them.

Cheers
Old 22 February 2013, 01:25 PM
tomo2323
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Aftermarket cv boots are OK just make sure you get ones with proper stainless steel securing bands....the ones suplpied with plastic cable ties break as they go brittle with age.

I use Bailcast branded boots, nice and stretchy, but they do need a good boot fitting tool.
Cheers buddy, would you say it is a pig of a job to do the inner ones without a ramp? I cant imagine a dealer would charge more than £200 to do one...