hesitating bugeye

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2013, 08:29 AM
DCurtis12
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hesitating bugeye

Hi Guys

There has proberly been a post on the site but ive got a 2001 bugeye sports wagon, now when i first start up and pull away it seems to go fine with very little hesitating until it warms right up approx 15 mins of driving then as soon as the car hits about half boost it is terrible. Now ive not noticed to much on fuel econ but then again im not putting my foot down enough to hit the hesitating and have been driving like miss daisy which is killing me now, please help.
Old 22 February 2013, 03:02 PM
DCurtis12
Scooby Regular

anyone have any thoughts that might help or can point me to a post ?
Old 22 February 2013, 10:03 PM
SinghSuperStud
Scooby Regular

Neutral position switch (NPS) - quick fix but could be the issue. I am due to have mine done as it kept making the ECU think the car was in neutral and it would hesitate.

Apparently it's only made of some crappy material that over the years gets worn away. At higher gears the gearbox twists slightly and this causes unwanted activation of the switch......so I've been told

Other stuff could be - dodgy boost solenoid - apparently you can clean it with brake cleaner.

Have you had any work done? I had an overboost issue and the car was hesitating because when I'd last had some work done they replaced the turbo pipework and it now had a different pill in it.

I'm sure a proper expert will be on here shortly to help
Old 22 February 2013, 11:12 PM
YoungY25
Scooby Regular

A faulty neutral position switch usually only throws up phantom misfire codes on the ECU logger. It usually doesnt affect the running unless its an AVCS engine. Imprezas are fickle things tho.......

You'd really need to get it plugged in to see exactly whats going on. No point swapping things for the sake of it when a quick diagnostic run will tell you all you need to know.
Could be anything from the plugs to the knock sensor.
Knock sensor has a 10 year life span so could be worth a look, it can fail without a CEL and the retarded timing will cause sporadic hesitation.