Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2013, 06:50 PM
steven bass
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default couple of probs

I have a 95 2.0l impreza wrx....

Prob 1
The car randomly wont start..at first i thought this was an immobiliser problem but may not be (or may still be?!) Sometimes the engine wont turn. I hear the starter motor click as i turn the key back n forward but the engine wont turn. Then after leaving it from 10mins ish to sometimes alot longer it will start. When i turn the key the dash lights dim..that tells me along with the clicks that the power is going to the starter?! Sometimes when i flatten the battery and jump it, it starts!

Problem 2.
the alternator occasionaly whines and when it does the whole electrical systems dims then picks up. Eg lights dim then brighten n can hear blower slow then pick up. Is this just a bad alternator or can something be draining power? No extra elecs...ie no stereo or subs etc! When there is no whine all elecs are perfect.

Problem 3
the heater takes a while to warm up and the temp gauge on dash takes absolutely forever to raise up, It only raises on tickover for a long time. If it has heated (say in bad traffic for ages) the car cools very quick when driving again and whilst driving the temp gauge remains at 0. In other words the car nearly always says 0 degrees. Is this a bad sensor or thermostat maybe? And could a fault with this cause the car to stay at 1500rpm on idle constantly. Iacv has been cleaned n tested with multimeter. TPS is fine too! I thought Maybe something could be causing the cars choke to stay on. It smells a little petroly!
Old 13 February 2013, 07:05 PM
wiggy1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No.1 check your live wire to the starter where i bolts on the top of the motor and make sure its tight, or could be a duff battery!
No.2 New alternator, the bearings will be on there way out, get a second hand or new one asap.
No.3 sounds like it has no thermostat fitted

hope this helps wiggy