Notices

Smell inside car

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2013, 07:08 PM
ANDYMCC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smell inside car

Sometimes i get an engine type smell inside the car when the heater is on, its not every time the heater is on, i have had the exhaust checked and also changed the pollen filter has anyone got any ideas.
Old 12 February 2013, 07:12 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

coolant leak possibly.
i have had this in the past and it makes a noticable smell in the cabin when heater is on
Old 12 February 2013, 09:18 PM
BILLETBEANZ
Scooby Regular

U like leaks dont you tommy lol
Old 12 February 2013, 09:54 PM
hill79
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasn't there a recall on early newages for a petrol smell through the heater in very cold temperatures?
Old 13 February 2013, 09:04 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Engine smell?

Can you be more specific?

Exhaust gas?
Hot coolant?
Hot/burnt oil?
Petrol?
Old 13 February 2013, 10:01 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I have the same on mine, have replaced all the gaskets on the exhaust for genuine items, replaced pollen filter and its still there.

Its not quite a fuel smell but more of an fume smell of some sort with maybe a touch of unburnt fuel thrown in, but its certainly not a neat fuel smell, happens first thing in the morning when I putt he heaters on, I also have a fuel smell from outside of the car, not all the time and mostly when the tank is full. You can't smell fuel inside the car whilst moving but as soon as you open the window a touch then you can clearly smell fuel, I have checked all under the bonnet at all the lines, have checked all the injectors are sat correctly, there is no signs of a leak anywhere I have checked the car in the air on the ramps, there are no wet or damp patches on the tank, nor does it drop fuel on the floor, I'm starting to think its the fuel neck or maybe the rubber hose has perished slightly where the neck goes in to the tank so that's next on the list, but as to the fumes coming through the heater when cold I have no idea, I have just bought a new set of headers an downpipe to fit to see if it solves the problem, as I have a Miltek downpipe which are renowned for cracking.
I had inspected it when I changed the gaskets and added a weld to the outter of the flange as it looked a little flimsy but has made no difference, and I'm positive I can still hear a kind of weird blow from cold even though I have just changed all the gaskets, it sounds like its coming from the headers/up-pipe region, so perhaps my headers are cracked somewhere slightly hence why I have bought a decent second hand set along with a different downpipe to try, any suggestions welcome chaps

Also the smell of fuel can only be smelt from drivers side of car and smells strongest by Drivers door area when stood there if it makes a difference, it don't smell as strong by the fuel flap, I know it sounds strange but its true ill get there eventually, it won't beat me