Notices

HELP 10% Meth mix??

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2013, 10:00 PM
BILLETBEANZ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP 10% Meth mix??

Hi i am currently running 20% meth mix and a mapp on v power.The power difference between the two is approx 60hp. I wanted to run a mapp which is going to give me a power band between thesrs two, unfortunately having trouble running a lower boost map on 20% due to getting turbo creep. Anyway has anyone here run or running a 10% meth map and is this possible? And what power gain is achieved over v power by running a 10% meth? Cheers

Last edited by BILLETBEANZ; 16 January 2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old 17 January 2013, 09:40 AM
Baz82
Scooby Regular

Pull the turbo off and maybe get the wastegate ported . I did this myself and I have eliminated boost creep
Old 17 January 2013, 10:09 AM
BILLETBEANZ
Scooby Regular

That is defo a option worth considering, was kindoff hoping a 10% meth mix might be a cheaper way of achieving my goal if this is possible..
Old 17 January 2013, 10:24 AM
Baz82
Scooby Regular

Its a lot of time and effort but when you see the end result its great I had serious creep issues so bad that the boost was uncontrolable in 4th and 5th gear with a decat down pipe. Once ported it holds steady.
Only thing I will say is that it may need an uprated actuator as I've had to use 70% duty on the boost controller to get 1.3bar
Old 17 January 2013, 10:26 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes I ran it for a while you will probably gain about 20 of each maybe a little more, so for for a 10% mix you will have to add 2.5 litres to 20litres of fuel
Old 17 January 2013, 10:38 AM
BILLETBEANZ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
Yes I ran it for a while you will probably gain about 20 of each maybe a little more, so for for a 10% mix you will have to add 2.5 litres to 20litres of fuel
Cheers buddy im jst glad its possible it will save me sum £££££ rather thn having the turbo removed for porting etc
Old 17 January 2013, 10:41 AM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BILLETBEANZ
Cheers buddy im jst glad its possible it will save me sum £££££ rather thn having the turbo removed for porting etc
Will need a map tweak so may not be much difference in cost....
Old 17 January 2013, 03:50 PM
BILLETBEANZ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by banny sti
Will need a map tweak so may not be much difference in cost....
It would cost 150 to remove and refit turbo. Does anyone knw how much the porting would cost?? And i would also need a map tweek once turbo is refitted. Surely a 10% meth mapp would be considerably cheaper??
Old 17 January 2013, 06:04 PM
Baz82
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BILLETBEANZ
It would cost 150 to remove and refit turbo. Does anyone knw how much the porting would cost?? And i would also need a map tweek once turbo is refitted. Surely a 10% meth mapp would be considerably cheaper??

If your handy with spanners you could remove and refit yourself, it can be a nightmare though with the wrong tools.
I borrowed a mates compressor and die grinder and ported the turbo myself with advice from Harvey (rip) so only cost the up pipe and down pipe gaskets and time, most the time is spent making sure the finish is smooth. And the main this is not to make the wastegate hole larger than the penny
Old 17 January 2013, 08:08 PM
BILLETBEANZ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Baz82
If your handy with spanners you could remove and refit yourself, it can be a nightmare though with the wrong tools.
I borrowed a mates compressor and die grinder and ported the turbo myself with advice from Harvey (rip) so only cost the up pipe and down pipe gaskets and time, most the time is spent making sure the finish is smooth. And the main this is not to make the wastegate hole larger than the penny
Im OK wiv tools but wouldnt knw where to start takin the dam think apart and porting it. Its currently holding good boost and have no creep issues jst when it was mapped and i asked for a lower boost seting my mapper told me it would not be possible due to turbo creep. So this is why i wanted a 10% mapp to b able to have a power band in between as struggle to put the power down in first and second gear running 20%
Old 17 January 2013, 08:26 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesn't matter whether you run 10%, 20% or no meth, you won't eradicate boost creep by changing the fuel.
Porting the exhaust housing and or increasing the size of the wastegate penny are your only options.
If you want a lower boost setting, get it ported and then remap the boost curves to suit.
Old 17 January 2013, 10:01 PM
BILLETBEANZ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MartynJ
Doesn't matter whether you run 10%, 20% or no meth, you won't eradicate boost creep by changing the fuel.
Porting the exhaust housing and or increasing the size of the wastegate penny are your only options.
If you want a lower boost setting, get it ported and then remap the boost curves to suit.
How much would you charge for tht Martyn as its just come from ure garage and i should have looked into this while it was there.. lol ooh well i suppose another quick 200 mile journey dwn the m5 wont kill me..
Old 17 January 2013, 10:15 PM
MartynJ
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner Plymouth for 4wd RR Mapping Apexi Ecutek Alcatek Proper Garage More than just a laptop!
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

In fairness, you don't need to drive everywhere at full throttle, lol.

The turbo would need removing and re-fitting and whilst it's off sent to where it was manufactured to be ported. It may be worth ringing them and seeing what they suggest and whether they'd do this free of charge.
Old 17 January 2013, 10:22 PM
BILLETBEANZ
Scooby Regular

Cheers il give mark a bell at lateral will squeeze him to doin it for free i suppose after what i paid for it.. would it require it to go on the dyno again for a remap Martyn??
Old 17 January 2013, 10:24 PM
BILLETBEANZ
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MartynJ
In fairness, you don't need to drive everywhere at full throttle, lol.

The turbo would need removing and re-fitting and whilst it's off sent to where it was manufactured to be ported. It may be worth ringing them and seeing what they suggest and whether they'd do this free of charge.
Lol u fited me FFS buddy so i dnt seem to have a choice anymore apart from to drive flat out lmao