Notices

running in a fresh engine

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2013, 11:48 PM
t4and greys
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running in a fresh engine

right im currently stripping and rebuilding my other halfs wrx bugeye engine ,will be getting refreshed top to bottom ,and will be running no more than 260 bhp ..

now this got me thinking how do people run in subaru motors ???? and what do subaru advise themselves as cant see it via the search function ,just after peoples opinions and input from personal experience

most other engines ive built before have been run on mineral for first 500 miles , and no heavy labouring of engine, but the occasional bit of boost and no high rpm

after the 500 i usually put fresh decent recommended oil for the motor and do another 100 or so miles ,before then smashing its face in like a box of smashed crabs

which has always served me well before now ,but just wondered what the reccomended procedure is and what other people do ,as its certainly an interesting topic and cant see it covered on here !!!!!!!

lets face it there must be lots of others building engines seeing the cranks are very prone

so whats everyones opinions and for the record my last built motor still getting death and done over 50k so far without any issues ,touch wood and thats using my running in method lol

so opinions please ???
Old 03 January 2013, 07:51 AM
adz556
Scooby Regular

I had a bottom end rebuild done at a dealership and I had a 1,000 mile run in period. I had to drive the first 500 below 3,000rpm and the second 500 below 3,500 rpm. I dumped the oil at 500 and again at the 1,000.....after that I was told to drive it and enjoy it and I've had no problems (touch wood). I don't know what grade of oil they used for run in but I know I was recommended (afterwards by an engine builder) to use a heaviernoil to start with, then semi synthetic to the 1000 and then your normal fully synthetic after that.

Hope that helps!
Old 03 January 2013, 12:51 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

See this thread.
Old 03 January 2013, 01:35 PM
t4and greys
Scooby Regular

cheers adz and also an interesting read there speedking

some conflicting opinions on the theory behind running in eh lol ????.......
think ill just stick to my normal method as in my experience smashing its head in after 1000 miles usually makes for a good strong motor ,even if longetivity is slightly less doing it this way

and i promise did utilize the search button too and didnt see that thread lol