Notices

New wrx owner problem already !

Search this Thread

Old 01 January 2013, 08:13 PM
Marc_wrx
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New wrx owner problem already !

Hello , just bought my car , a 53 plate blob eye wrx , decent bit of Subaru history and a straight well looked after car.when I went to see the car in a small car sales and found the owner had been driving the car daily as it was practical . Heard the exhaust blowing from the down pipe so the guy fired it up on the ramp to get a look, seen it was the join between the two cats ,so took the car and got money off for sorting it thinking no big deal.Driving around happy with my new purchase and tiny blowing exhaust I noticed its got a bit louder.Then driving home from a mates the engine management light came on . There was no change in the car driving wise, still goes into boost etc and drives smooth,idles fine.I'm wondering if this is most probably the blowing exhaust between the cats ? Hopefully got a cat back exhaust lined up anyway but would rather the car was 100 % before a start modifying so any help would be great .
Cheers
Old 01 January 2013, 08:19 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Marc_wrx
Hello , just bought my car , a 53 plate blob eye wrx , decent bit of Subaru history and a straight well looked after car.when I went to see the car in a small car sales and found the owner had been driving the car daily as it was practical . Heard the exhaust blowing from the down pipe so the guy fired it up on the ramp to get a look, seen it was the join between the two cats ,so took the car and got money off for sorting it thinking no big deal.Driving around happy with my new purchase and tiny blowing exhaust I noticed its got a bit louder.Then driving home from a mates the engine management light came on . There was no change in the car driving wise, still goes into boost etc and drives smooth,idles fine.I'm wondering if this is most probably the blowing exhaust between the cats ? Hopefully got a cat back exhaust lined up anyway but would rather the car was 100 % before a start modifying so any help would be great .
Cheers
First thing to do is get a code reader and find out what code the ecu is throwing up and go from there.
It may be unrelated to exhaust
Old 01 January 2013, 08:20 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

I personaly wouldn't risk the car if it has a known fault, I would say its a cel light caused by the sensors picking up leaking, would have thought it would ruin the cats, they aren't cheap when it comes to mot time. Only way to know for sure is to plug in a reader and get a diagnostics
Old 01 January 2013, 08:33 PM
Marc_wrx
Scooby Newbie

Yeah I will try and get the code read tomorrow and go from there , fingers crossed its something trival
Old 01 January 2013, 08:56 PM
kb1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Marc_wrx
Yeah I will try and get the code read tomorrow and go from there , fingers crossed its something trival
Until then keep it off boost.
Old 01 January 2013, 08:57 PM
Marc_wrx
Scooby Newbie

Will do , cheers
Old 02 January 2013, 04:57 PM
Marc_wrx
Scooby Newbie

Got the code checked , was the lambda right enough , well the exhaust blowing and throwing the second sensor .