What exhaust do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2002, 08:04 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi,

My trusty 5Zigen back box has finally blown a hole in its rusted mild steel pipe so its time for a replacement.

I previously tried a scoobysport full system but the Wife complained so much I got rid of the mid and back box (it did drone a bit to be fair).

What do people recommend as a slightly quieter alternative.

I really like the look of the huge bore tailpipe of my 5Zigen (looks like a blitz NUR / HKS) and would like to keep something similar if poss.

Would a Blitz do the job?

cheers
Old 13 May 2002, 10:50 PM
Jamie Whitfield
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Richard

With a Blitz you are going to be getting a much louder system. I would personally recommend a Magnex baring this in mind, I'll send you some details.

Jamie

www.j-w-racing.com
www.performanceexhausts.net
Old 13 May 2002, 11:42 PM
stewpot
Scooby Regular

Hi richard just put a Magnex back box and centre section on my Uk 97'mod . The centre section has a resinator that makes it a little bit quietter . The back box is 3.5 round and looks better than the scoobysport (bigger) , it sounds the part and does not drone as bad . I think it would keep your wife happy so you would have the best of both worlds. I only live a few miles from you in (bargoed), do you know about the meet at the end of the month on the 25 may saturday . There is a 0/60mph event if you decide to go you and your wife could see my exhaust system (for meet on 25' go to scoobynet wales sit 0/60 run). See you there Stewart
Old 14 May 2002, 02:03 PM
Plantie
Scooby Regular

As Jamie said, the Blitz and the HKS will be too loud for your wife....

The Prodrive back box is a good one as it is quiet when driving normal and makes a nice noise (not too loud) when on full chat.

Can't comment on the Magnex as not heard one.... (that might be the answer then )
Old 14 May 2002, 03:00 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Richard,

I have a 5Zigen exhaust on my car, a MY00 and you're the only other person I've heard of in Europe with a 5Zigen. Do you only have a back box or midsection as well? Do you have the fireball or the canonball one? I'd be interested to hear how the new exhaust will perform compared to the 5Zigen. I have the 70mm, (2 3/4 inch), 5Zigen canonball mid and back box. Without being biased, IMHO it is the best sounding exhaust I have heard.

Does anybody else know much about this exhaust? How would it compare to the Graham Goode one?

Cheers,

Wrexy.

PS Not trying to hijack the thread Richard. Maybe the Graham Goode one could be an alternative. It looks rather nice.

[Edited by WREXY - 5/14/2002 3:01:55 PM]
Old 14 May 2002, 10:14 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Cheers All that replied.

Stewpot - I'm going to try and take you up on your offer and pop to the meet, thanks.

Jamie - thanks for the info on the blitz - i think your right from reading other posts, probably far too loud, look forward to magnex info.

Wrexy - trying to make sense of the Japanese website I think i got a cannonball also. I've got a mid & back box which is good because the back box will not fit the standard mid-section

The quality of the stainless box is Vgood but the mild steel pipe leading to it has been scraped badly (it does hang quite low under around the diff) sometime in its previous life, hence the rust & hole.

I'm considering getting the pipe repaired or replaced with stainless but it may be cheaper just to get a new system.

btw - Wrexy I think it was you who suggested contacting someone in Australia for a replacement but $1000 + shipping put me off

Cheers

Rich
Old 14 May 2002, 10:44 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

i changed my wife for a quieter one (when it matters, anyway!)

simon

www.scoobessential.com
Old 14 May 2002, 11:10 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Ah yes Richard. It was me. I remember now. The exhaust cost me $1300AUD when I bought it from the shop I suggested to you.

Do you have the link for the 5Zigen site?

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 14 May 2002, 11:17 PM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Wrexy - try

http://www.5zigen.co.jp/dj/ce_view.html

You can just about understand the english bit but the Japanese section has got more pictures

Rich

Old 14 May 2002, 11:46 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Talking

Cheers m8. Found it. I clicked here,

http://www.5zigen.co.jp/dj/open/index.html

Then clicked on 5zigen official website, then clicked on basic model, then scrolled down to the first small pic of a backbox, clicked on the small pic, then clicked on the canonball pic, then scrolled down to a bigger pic of the canonball backbox and one with the canonball on a 200sx. This is the one I have.

Pity it's in Japanese. I would have liked to have read up on it. I would have liked to have seen the price too.
Don't know if you remember Hyperex with the 500/600hp scoob from Japan that used to post on here. He had praised this exhaust when I mentioned it to him and he said that lots of scoobs in Japan had this exhasust.

I'd like to know how it compares to the main exhausts everyone is using on here, but I think it's a bit hard.

Cheers,

Wrexy.

Old 15 May 2002, 12:08 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

By the way, I found my instructions on the exhaust, which is in Japanese and there are a couple of part numbers for the bacbox we have. In case you want to enquire, here they are. Our cars are GC8 part number, that is UK models, where as the import Jap spec scoobs are GF8 I think. So our backbox part number is 95-000155 then there is another number, EJ20 T/C.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 15 May 2002, 12:38 AM
Richard Curtis
Scooby Regular

Hi again Wrexy -

Just checked (with a torch at 00:25 - neighbours must think i'm barking)

I've got JASMA 005 written on a plate on mine
with a number 95-000151, it came off a jap import second hand so assume its the local Jap version.

I'm going to enquire about getting it repaired later this week, from your comments it sounds like its worth hanging on to.

cheers

Rich
Old 15 May 2002, 01:20 AM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Richard,

Jasma was on my instructions too. I just checked my plate, 3.10am in the morning here, with a torch, like a thief, (few dogs started barking ) and mine says Jasma with the 005 number. I couldn't find the 95-000155 number. I'll check tomorrow day time.

Cheers,

Wrexy.

[Edited by WREXY - 5/15/2002 1:32:38 AM]
Old 15 May 2002, 03:55 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Had a look today and it has the plate with Jasma and 005 stamped on it and then at the bottom end of the plate, but just off the plate it had the number, 95-000154 stamped in small digits. The last digit is a 4 and not a 5.

Cheers,

Wrxey.