Notices

Fuel Filler pipe

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2012, 06:37 PM
mystery_machine
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Filler pipe

Stupid question probably but I am about to change the fuel filler pipe on my car and was wondering how low the fuel has to be before I can change it without spilling fuel everywhere (i.e. 1/2 tank or 1/4) ?

Thanks in advance....
Old 22 November 2012, 07:09 PM
Gavscooby1
Scooby Regular

get the petrol as low as poss did mine only had about 1 gallon in it
Old 22 November 2012, 07:19 PM
Pedroturbo
Scooby Regular

mystery machine i need to do the same job on my scoob. if you could take a bit of time to make a breif walkthrough with a few pics during the mission and post em up on this thread it would be greatly appreciated
Old 22 November 2012, 07:25 PM
mystery_machine
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pedroturbo
mystery machine i need to do the same job on my scoob. if you could take a bit of time to make a breif walkthrough with a few pics during the mission and post em up on this thread it would be greatly appreciated
I'll see what I can come up with, I am not sure on how it's done to be honest but it doesn't look too complicated, I think the three screws on the cap end are the main problem especially if they are rusted

Won't be till the weekend at the earliest though
Old 22 November 2012, 09:35 PM
Broomy14
Scooby Newbie

Did mine a few months back, ordered my filler neck from ebay and all new bolts were supplied so if the ones that hold the neck snap it wasnt a problem. I did it with the fuellight on so didnt lose anything and its only a half hour job. Lathered it with waxoil after it was fitted.
Old 24 November 2012, 01:29 PM
mystery_machine
Scooby Regular

ok well I have done it!
Succeeded in only cutting my fingers and hand a few times
take off the wheel first.
then I removed the three screws where the filler cap is, a tough job without rounding the screws off but plenty of WD40 seemed to do the trick.
there are three 10mm bolts (screws) holding the plastic shroud on, so remove those.
next there is a clip on the overflow pipe which sits next to the main filler pipe, remove this clip
then I went underneath and there is a pipe grip clip that holds the filler pipe to the rubber hose attached to the tank which needs to be loosened.
now you will need to pull both the overflow pipe and the main pipe off, which is where i got most of my cuts

then just put it all back together again....

sorry no pics, I was covered in waxoyl and general cr@p and didn't want to keep picking my phone up.
It really is an easy job if everything comes off easily
Oh and I did it with 3/4 of a tank of fuel as the filler pipe goes into the top of tank so no spillage there either.
Old 24 November 2012, 07:05 PM
Pedroturbo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mystery_machine
ok well I have done it!
Succeeded in only cutting my fingers and hand a few times
take off the wheel first.
then I removed the three screws where the filler cap is, a tough job without rounding the screws off but plenty of WD40 seemed to do the trick.
there are three 10mm bolts (screws) holding the plastic shroud on, so remove those.
next there is a clip on the overflow pipe which sits next to the main filler pipe, remove this clip
then I went underneath and there is a pipe grip clip that holds the filler pipe to the rubber hose attached to the tank which needs to be loosened.
now you will need to pull both the overflow pipe and the main pipe off, which is where i got most of my cuts

then just put it all back together again....

sorry no pics, I was covered in waxoyl and general cr@p and didn't want to keep picking my phone up.
It really is an easy job if everything comes off easily
Oh and I did it with 3/4 of a tank of fuel as the filler pipe goes into the top of tank so no spillage there either.

Thank you mate your are a star!

Be on the hunt for a new part now