Notices

STI V2 rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 29 October 2012, 04:53 PM
C C C
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STI V2 rebuild questions

Afternoon people, Well the time has finally come of rebuilding my engine ( which is about 2 and a half years ). The bottom end started knocking ( you could only just about hear it ).
I have bought new head set with head bolts, ACL race bearing ( main and big end ), cambelt, piston rings, bottom end gasket set with new bolts, I have had a bit of a problem with one of my pistons which i cleaned in TFR ( traffic film remover ) and in doing this i have removed the coating on the piston ,

I have managed to find a 2nd hand set of pistons, I have got some pics to ask if they would be ok to fit, they are the same diameter. The car in question is a 95 STI wagon red top v2

The other problem i have is can i re-use the conrod bolts or do i have to replace them as i cant seem to find them on there own or they say only bolts no nuts.
Any help would be appreciated

CHEERS Jody
Old 29 October 2012, 10:15 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TFR does make a mess of the pistons if soaked for too long

The original pistons you have are the short skirt forged dogbone pistons- the other one's are cast legacy pistons by the look of it.

The compression heights look different from you pictures so no, they are not suitable as a direct replacement. Try fitting the gudgeon pin half in your old piston and half in the new one, turn them upside down so they sit on their crowns on a flat surface and see if there is a difference in height on the crowns.

You can reuse the original rod studs and nuts again but if you replace them with ARP items, you will have to get the rods re-sized.

If you get stuck for some pistons it might be worth giving API a ring, as they normally have a good selection of pistons on the shelf.

Mick
Old 30 October 2012, 10:41 AM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As he says. the leggy pistons will crack in the forged type piston application. You ned either Vers 4 or earlier STi pistons or you run the risk of another failure.

David APi 01926 614333
Old 30 October 2012, 11:26 AM
C C C
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the quick replies.
I have just ordered a new 11mm oil pump and will re-use the conrod bolts, I am off now to see a man who might have a replacement piston for the one i messed up and ( hope he has got one )
Once again cheers for the help and no doubt there will be a few more questions.
Old 31 October 2012, 02:10 PM
C C C
Scooby Newbie

Right i have gone see the man about the piston and he hasn't got one, so it looks like a new set of pistons for me.
Would someone be able to tell me what is my best option for pistons that would be a suitable replacement for my short skirt forged dog bone pistons and what kind of cost i am looking at and would i need new rods as well ?.
CHEERS Jody
Old 31 October 2012, 02:24 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WHY NOT RING US ??

01926 614333

APi