Notices

Turbo 2000 missfire 4500 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 13 September 2012, 02:49 PM
wobblyt2k
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo 2000 missfire 4500 rpm

Hi all, i'm new here, I've owned my 1999 (V) Impreza turbo 2000 for nearly a year now.

It was purchased with a blown headgasket, other than that it's in fairly good nick for it's year.

Anyway, I got on and ordered a full head set, new plugs, fresh oil and filter, timing belt kit and stainless headers as the standard ones were looking a bit beyond it and go to work.

After countless hours of coaxing furred up bolts out and lots of swearing i finally had both heads off, stripped, skimmed, rebuilt and re-fitted.

I have re-assembled the car and she fired up without any issues. ran her warm at tickover, allowed all the water and condensation in the exhaust to steam off and allowed the car to cool.

The problems came when i decided to road test the car, anywhere above 4,500 rpm she doesn't seem to want to rev when under load. I have checked all the electrics and can't find a problem, i have been in contact with the previous owner who claims the car ran fine before the head gasket went and i've had the timing belt cover back off and double checked that all cams are in time.

The Headers are the Ebay special TOYOSPORTS type, i've heard some pretty rough reviews about these since i've purchased and fitted, could this be my problem? I've also just read a thread about these on here and it sounds like they are causing similar issues for other people but i don't want to spend ages taking them back off and finding a good standard set if this isn't my problem.

any suggestions are greatly appreciated, getting a little bit tired of having my head under the bonnet now.

Many thanks.
Chris
Old 13 September 2012, 06:15 PM
jonnywrxsti
Scooby Newbie

Hi mate my car was the same wouldn't rev past r4500rpm it was the maf sensor fitted a new one and it is running perfect now
Old 13 September 2012, 06:36 PM
classicgc8
Scooby Regular

Hi,
As per your post it could be those toyosports headers ?

Duncan @racedynamix said the car fitted with them on the dyno couldnt rev past 5000rpm,they were equal headers i believe with all branches going to one flexi section.
Are yours like that?

Two questions? what size did you gap your spark plugs to ??? and which ones are they,ie ngk pfr6b
Old 16 September 2012, 11:40 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Headers would be my starting point. Those toyosports headers are sh1te beyond belief and will in a lot of cases cause such a back pressure build up that the car will not drive beyond it rpm wise. Causes a massively nasty combustion because of the contamination of charge and quite frankly not good for the engine IMHO.

Put some std headers back on in my view
Old 20 September 2012, 03:35 PM
wobblyt2k
Scooby Newbie

Many thanks for your posts, i shall scour the net for a good set of standards and go from there, failing that i shall follow up the MAF sensor possibility. ah well, the shiny stainless will look good in my scrap bin.

Cheers Chris