Notices

Error code 22 - part 3

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2012, 10:53 PM
edizio
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Error code 22 - part 3

Had the knock sensor and MAF sensor replaced but the check engine light issue flashed again and left me with the error code 22 in diagnostics after I was driving home from a friend's house. I am very sure the guy who fitted the components was very competent so I am beginning to get concerned by the issue now.

The car was mapped professionally upon recommendations from this forum but subsequently after no changes it seems that I am running rich (Assumed due to overly popping and spluttering exhaust). I don't believe this is the map at fault as an ECU reset results in it running fine at the correct boost levels again.

Only issue I noticed when checking under the engine just before coming inside was that it was a hell of a lot hotter than usual. There's plenty of coolant, the oil is not bad, only been in there for 2.2k miles and I believe the radiator fans are working.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here? The car does not seem to be showing any audible signs of knocking although I guess that the ECU is ensuring that if anything bad happens it retards the ignition timing. Another thing, can someone confirm whether the knock sensor alert (error code 22) indicates whether a knock/det has occurred or whether the sensor itself is faulty.
Old 03 August 2012, 11:15 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Error 22 is saying fault with sensor. Tho this can also be the wiring to the sensor as explained by chocolate o brian if you search for his posts. When the cel is on the car will be in limp mode

I assume your mechanic knew to torque the sensor to 17lbft, anymore can damage the sensor.

When you say it was mapped, was it an ecutek remap? As i know simtec ecu's can be set so that when knock is detected the cel will flash
Old 03 August 2012, 11:18 PM
edizio
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I believe he fit the knock sensor correctly with the torque wrench.

Sorry, I should have mentioned, it's an ECUtek remap on the standard ECU.

Final thing, the check engine light is never always on for me, it comes on for a few seconds, then turns off leaving only the error code in the diagnostics. At this point though, the boost is running a lot lower than it should. The thing is, I've never encountered the issue whilst hard driving, the first time the engine check light came on was after a hot day at work when I first got into the car. The second time was a few days later on a cold morning.
Old 03 August 2012, 11:55 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

My car had same issue, new sensor fixed it. If new sensor didnt fix yours then look at the wiring for the sensor
Old 04 August 2012, 09:05 AM
edizio
Scooby Regular

I find it weird that the check engine light only flashes temporarily maybe for a couple of seconds. The only way I can tell there is an issue is the car only boosts to a certain point and the diagnostics when connecting black wires together shows error code 22.
Old 04 August 2012, 10:02 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, just found this. As per PM's to yourself, I'd check the wiring and/or have it required to eliminate that possibility. That's what solved my issue as I had the intermittent CEL coming on at random periods.

And when fitting the new sensor, I torqued it up correctly too, as the plastic part can be damaged easily
Old 04 August 2012, 11:06 AM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by edizio
I find it weird that the check engine light only flashes temporarily maybe for a couple of seconds. The only way I can tell there is an issue is the car only boosts to a certain point and the diagnostics when connecting black wires together shows error code 22.
exactly same issue. Though mine only happened when car had been sitting a while/cold/damp. Conclusion was senor casing had small cracks allowing damp in, this then dried off as engine warmed

also, if you can get a washer the exact size of the metal ring on top of sensor fit thid between sensor and bolt head, itll stop the casing potentially cracking when torquing.

Do a search on my previous posts there is stuff about it, tried all sorts