Nose and Electronic Diagnosis agree

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2012, 08:28 AM
retarded
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nose and Electronic Diagnosis agree

Hi all,

Looking for some confirmation or feedback on my diagnosis.

Had a new exhaust system put on, so catless UP and DP, has a cat in the midpipe and of course the backbox. Have put the 2.2kohm 1/2 w resistor into the old EGT sensor plug. It is a 2004 UK WRX wagon. It has been tuned to 260 bhp region.

The tune was done - PRIOR to the exhaust system being installed but it was supposedly tuned to deal with that. - Comments on that appreciated.

Upon first start up, with new system on it threw code P0134, I cleared it on account of it being all the WD40 in the new system.

Anyway, drive it to switzerland and am currently in Belgium on the way back home to Lichfield.... following has happened.

After about 400 miles... when I stop, it stinks... can smell fumes in the cabin. So I suspect exhaust system leak. Then the car throws P0420 (catalytic converter inefficiency), which can also be a vacuum or exhaust leak... cleared it.... after 1300 miles on the new exhaust it throws P0171 bank1 too lean.

Now, in terms of driveability, its going like a scalded cat, ie really well. It coped with 3 people, luggage and ******* mountain passes with no fuss or hassle, it produced power when needed and I was getting great fuel economy. In fact since the exhaust system install it has increased the fuel economy significantly.

The last code was thrown after a sustained 110mph plus burst following a belgium local towards brussels... and after I stopped for fuel, ie it was good, got back on the freeway... ****ing CEL thrown about 1 minute after reaching cruising speed.

Looking at the exhaust pipe, its nice and black, a dark dark brown but not jet black, too me it seems to be running about right but I am frightened it might be really lean. It hasnt overheated, it doesnt show signs of being too lean when driving and it idles okay.

apart from having the exhaust system inspected for leaks when I return is there anything else I should consider - or do? All advice appreciated.

By the way, the autobahn on the german side into basel was good fun :-)
Old 19 July 2012, 09:48 AM
DT-SPD
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you are running a total decat without having the mapping checked/set to suit. May well be overboosting hence it feels good but needs the mapping checked asap imo.
Old 21 July 2012, 10:13 AM
retarded
Scooby Regular

thanks for your response, very much appreciated