WRX Power Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 10 July 2012, 12:00 AM
wrx_2005
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX Power Upgrade

HI GUYS,

Now that my newage 2005 WRX has more or less reached its max power and unable to squeeze any more from the stock TD04 Turbo.

I am looking at set of STi Pink Injectors and a VF series Turbo, ie, VF22/35 etc. that along with a MAP tweak, should see 330bhp.

but my question is, will the Stock top mount WRX intercooler be ok to cope with this change or is it paramount that a bigger intercooler is absolutely necessary. i am looking at costs and saving money, if I can get away with it. I don't want to be changing everything if there is no real need to do so. iyswim.
your thoughts ?
Old 10 July 2012, 12:04 AM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I changed the tmic to a sti one just to get more air coming in to safeguard the power upgrade, but think you can still use wrx one, but you just don't know if it's safe in the long run.
Old 10 July 2012, 07:24 AM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Not absolutely necessary but it will start to become a limiting factor... it'll be safe as the mapper will set things up for it.
Old 10 July 2012, 08:15 AM
fingerscooby
Scooby Regular

I was in the same boat as you wrx2005, I have got pinks, vf34, etc to fit and asked the same question about the bigger Sti tmic and I was recommended by my mapper and guys on here to get one, also you will need the larger under tray and I got a bigger air intake too. Most people I think upgrade the tmic when changing the turbo, injectors etc, but your choice at the end of the day, personally I listened to the advice given to me by well respected guys on here that's why I got one, better safe than sorry.
Old 10 July 2012, 08:47 AM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fingerscooby
I was in the same boat as you wrx2005, I have got pinks, vf34, etc to fit and asked the same question about the bigger Sti tmic and I was recommended by my mapper and guys on here to get one, also you will need the larger under tray and I got a bigger air intake too. Most people I think upgrade the tmic when changing the turbo, injectors etc, but your choice at the end of the day, personally I listened to the advice given to me by well respected guys on here that's why I got one, better safe than sorry.
Indeed, to get the most out of the turbo upgrade it's a good idea to get a bigger IC. However, it's not a necessity to do it straight away - it can always be done at a later date when funds allow.

If you stick with the stock one, it may limit the amount of boost / timing advance / etc that can be run safely due to the higher intake temps and therefore you'd end up with slightly less power than if you also upgrade the STi TMIC. However, so long as it's mapped well, it won't be unsafe to run the stock WRX IC with the vf34.

Good point re the scoop / undertray.