Notices

Classic wrx knocking with video (please help)

Search this Thread

Old 09 July 2012, 05:35 PM
detomaso
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic wrx knocking with video (please help)

Alrite guys here goes, I bought this used engine with 80000 on it last week, i got it as a long engine and built everything of my old 1, primed old filter and started and this is how it sounds ( i ran for 10 mins to warm up to see if it could of been the old making its way round before i started it again), can anyone confrim that its rod knock, it doesnt sound as loud as my other engine and it doesnt have the same symtoms either but im sure it is, any advice would be greatful i have uploaded a video from start up, thanks

Old 09 July 2012, 05:42 PM
dibbleyuk
Scooby Regular

That sounds like big end to me.
Old 09 July 2012, 05:54 PM
detomaso
Scooby Newbie

Yea thought as much lol, it just sounded very tappy compared to the knock of my last engine, sounds as if its cylinder 3 just infront of the turbo which seems to be the most common for some reason, thanks for the reply
Old 09 July 2012, 05:56 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

It sounds like a sticking tappet, this can happen if the engine has been stood for some time.
Old 09 July 2012, 06:56 PM
detomaso
Scooby Newbie

This is what iv also been thinking, it sounds tappy rather than the knocking of my last engine, it was defo knocking (loud), symptoms are totally different this time and this engine has prob lay about for a few months, looks like im gona have to strip it down and see wats going on, just wanted to see if anyone could shed a bit of light or give me a few tips before i did, thanks for the reply
Old 09 July 2012, 07:11 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

normally bottom end rattles on lift off. id say its top end that.
Old 08 August 2012, 08:51 PM
bikesforme
Scooby Regular

Any idea what the problem was, mine sounds like that too, i would say its slightly louder when cold. The last owner has never changed the oil the 7 months he has had it, i have flushed it out twice and now got 10w-40 semi mobil in it, but it still sounds the same.
It sounds like its coming from under the rad filler some where ,but i can not pin point it.I was thinking a sticking tappet, someone said it might be a sticking fuel injecter. I have put fuel injecter cleaner in petrol but still the same, and advice of checking valve clearance or cleaning tappets, is it a easy job and write ups on forum.
Old 12 August 2012, 07:10 PM
bikesforme
Scooby Regular

Changed the sparkplugs today car still tapping, i tried to pin point it searching around with a screwdriver to my a ear. I am sure its coming from the top area maybe drivers side injectors more so then low down, but i might buy some oil additive to put it just incase its noisey tappets.
I have put fuel injecter cleaner in to no joy, any ideas how to quiten injectors if its them.
On searching the web it seems to be a normal thing on these cars, but i am not happy with the noise.