Notices

Boost controllers - are they all a bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 08 July 2012, 12:37 PM
the hamster
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost controllers - are they all a bad idea?

I'm seeing more and more cars, both classic and newage with boost controllers on them and I thought these were a big no no??

I understand that a classic with an Apexi FC may require one, and manual boost controllers are just a big no but can a mapper work with an electronic controller on a newage or classic?

Only thing I can think of is that the EBC is used for switchable maps but I though this was newage only?

Just curious how it all works on older and newage cars and what to steer clear of. Cheers
Old 08 July 2012, 03:20 PM
Blue and Gold
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My jdm sti (newage) has an apexi avcr on it as it was fitted when I bought the car, I have to say I don't find it very accurate as it displays revs and boost pressure and the revs on the screen can be way out to what the rev counter is saying.

However I don't really know how it works properly and haven't really messed with it much but I don't think I'd miss it if it wasn't there
Old 08 July 2012, 03:42 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue and Gold
My jdm sti (newage) has an apexi avcr on it as it was fitted when I bought the car, I have to say I don't find it very accurate as it displays revs and boost pressure and the revs on the screen can be way out to what the rev counter is saying.

However I don't really know how it works properly and haven't really messed with it much but I don't think I'd miss it if it wasn't there
I'm not really sure that you need one on the Newage JDM as you can get in gear boost and rev limiter mapped in each gear via Megarom, Sell it for £250 and get it done on the map
Old 08 July 2012, 04:40 PM
ironbridge
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an GReddy Profec B electronic boost control with an Apexi Power FC. I'm pretty sure the Power FC only goes to 1 bar that's why I need the EBC also.

It's a good piece of kit, my service/tuning guy set it all up for me and it makes quite a difference in spool with it switched on/off.

I would say the manual ones are really dodgy.

Last edited by ironbridge; 08 July 2012 at 04:47 PM.