Notices

HEAD GASKET THICKNESS

Search this Thread

Old 02 July 2012, 10:21 AM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HEAD GASKET THICKNESS

Hi I have an urgent query to head gasket thickness.

I have an Import WRX 1995

What is the standard head gasket thickness.

I have been supplied one but i think its too thin as the pistons now hit the heads .

All of my pistons come past the deck slightly so am slightly confused.

Some people are saying standard thickness is 1.3mm (0.51 thou)

But others are saying 0.5 mm (0.20 Thou)

Now i need to know which is the correct one for my vehicle as I now have to go back to the supplier but i need some answers first!

Cheers
Old 02 July 2012, 10:36 AM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

ok so spoke to suabaru 1st main dealer then IM Group and even they dont know , ARRRRRR im losing my head here!
Old 02 July 2012, 10:40 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Just go to a reputable source, i.e scoobie clinic, api, etc etc surely they can help you out
Old 02 July 2012, 10:42 AM
saiklon
Scooby Regular

Standard thickness for your engine is 1.4mm.
Old 02 July 2012, 10:53 AM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks guys another quick question is in what application would you use 0.55mm gaskets? Cheers
Old 02 July 2012, 11:14 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Not to sure mate but i thought the thicker gaskets were run in order to drop compression on a turbo and thinner gaskets were used to up compression on a n/a engine?? I know the gasket i had fitted to my n/a redtop was thinner than standard and the gasket i fitted to my redtop turbo was thicker than that of its standard counterpart, i could be wrong tho, but im sure with a turbot engine u want lower compression rather than higher but would depend on requirements and build on the engine its self, speak to engine builders as above or the mappers out there im sure they will hold a lot of answers u may seek
Old 02 July 2012, 11:28 AM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

Well im stuck atm with the supplier as he is saying his supplier says there are meant to be 0.5 mm but everyother person \ supplier \ engine builder says they should be 1.4mm

The shop i got it from is saying tuff sh*t our supplier says its correct

BTW i got it of fleabay do you think i have any grounds for a refund through paypal\ ebay

Thoughts?
Old 02 July 2012, 11:38 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

If you have been supplied the wrong part then yea you can, will have to open a dispute with paypal over it! Although im not sure if there is a time frame in which you can open the dispute, if the other tuners and pro's are telling you that its the wrong gasket then Take their advice would be my advice, they been at this game a long time and know what they are up to! Flee bay as often stated by others is not the best! You will get the "odd" good deal but most of the s**t on there is about as much use as a chocolate kettle, and that is not just scooby based, also the same with most of the vehicles out there. F**k what the ebay guy says IMO and take the best advice from the well listed people on here! Go to the traders section and there is a list of most of them on there, have a read and take your choice for who u feel is best suited, most local etc to you

Last edited by Infected by sti; 02 July 2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02 July 2012, 11:41 AM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

Well i agrre with everyone that the headgasket should be 1.3mm - 1.6mm depending on other factors,

I can open a dispute im still withen time im just wondering how to go about proving its is the wrong thickness as they will turn around and say our supplier says that is correct.

Even Subaru didnt know the thickness they just see it a a part number so they were unable to confirm how thick it should be.
Old 02 July 2012, 11:49 AM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Send an email to reaputable source and copy the reply to the dispute and contact details if necessary
Old 02 July 2012, 12:37 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

Opened a dispute :

The seller refused to send me correct part or offer any sort of return, they are using the excuse the supplier says this is the correct part but it clearly is not.

The head gasket supplied is 0.5mm(0.20thou) and the gasket required is 1.3mm(0.51thou) in standard applications any other size would not be STANDARD.

Having the wrong thickness part has caused other damage as it allowed for the pistons to contact the heads as the supplied gasket was too thin. Also this means most of the other gaskets supplied in this set are now unusable as they have been used and then removed making them unusable again as they have already been used or broken as they are paper gaskets, just to find out the head gasket was too thin.

After speaking to many other suppliers and reputable engine builders they have all confirmed the standard gasket thickness should be 1.3mm(0.51thou).

as a standard wrx engine the pistons protrude from the block upto 0.17 thou and the supplied head gasket is only 0.20 thou this doesn't leave enough clearance between the pistons and head as the STANDARD gasket should be 1.3mm(0.51) thou thick .

The seller is refusing to exchange the gasket for one of correct thickness or offering me a refund even claiming that the supplier says this is the correct thickness gasket but it clearly is not.

This has caused much aggravation as the engine has had to be removed again and stripped back down and have everything checked over to find out the supplied gasket is not correct and not the correct thickness. Also the damages it has caused by the gasket not being the correct thickness has allowed for the piston to hit the head whilst the engine is running.

I am not Happy with the service I have received or the blatant palm off "our supplier says it should be correct"

The standard head gasket for a 95 wrx 2.0 92mm ej20 engine should be :
1.3mm(0.51thou) the supplied gasket is 0.5mm(0.20thou)
Old 02 July 2012, 12:39 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

Meh.. Well only time will tell!
Old 02 July 2012, 01:09 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Who was the seller on Bay of the E then if you dint mind answering
Old 02 July 2012, 01:13 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

azcarpartsuk
Old 02 July 2012, 01:17 PM
jakea
Scooby Regular

the pistons will smack the heads at .5mm

many people confuse phase one engines and phase two, not knowing that phase ones protrude the deck .3mm
Old 02 July 2012, 01:19 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

yeah i no 1 did! my head has a nice R and B marking now!!
Old 02 July 2012, 01:25 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

So Dons was the correct kit ordered your end? Still seems to be to shallow at 0.5mm surely??
Old 02 July 2012, 01:30 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

well this is what i ordered http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3900906562...ht_4685wt_1004

I assumed the correct gasket would have been supplied
Old 02 July 2012, 01:50 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Is there a difference between the uk turbo gasket set and a wrx import set? Do they both run same pistons etc? Just thinking could this be for a uk spec car and not an import although it does not specify that in their add!

Also i note that they say all there gaskets are oem? Yet states the head gaskets are uprated?? Bit confusing that i would have said, so did subaru ever make the uprated gaskets they are advertising as oem?

Also are you sure the bottom end in your car is a standard unit and not been changed in anyway? And are the pistons in a wrx to an sti of the same year any different? If so perhaps this where the problem is?? Just food for thought but like i said above all oem???
Old 02 July 2012, 01:52 PM
APIDavid
Former Sponsor
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!Support Scoobynet!

Location: @Junc 12, M40 Warwicksh; 01926 614522 CV33 9PL -Use 9GX for Satnav. South Mids Alcatek ECu dealer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dealing with a knowledgeable supplier - costs a bit.

Dealing with an internet turkey - PRICELESS.
Old 02 July 2012, 01:57 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

everythings is all v1 phase 1 wrx import.

I believe there are no differences between uk version and jap version of the same period car.

And believe me ive had the crank rechecked had the new acl bearings checked and rods , piston pin and pistons all checked with a micrometer and vernier to check they are all correct sizes and within tolerances before finally figuring out it must be the head gasket and like i said the head gasket was only0.20thou (0.5mm)

My pistons protrude the deck upto 0.15thou

Definatly a head gasket problem!
Old 02 July 2012, 01:58 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

+1 apidavid!
Old 02 July 2012, 02:11 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

Then you got good grounds for a refund! Im not especially clued up alot with the scoob scene hence why i would always ask a professional there honest and outright oppinion which is what im doing with mine and slowly im learning more and more with ever question, im clued up on the spanners and how to take install/remove anything but technical side of it is a different ball game lol, i got alot of time for those who have been there and done it and are willing to share some knowledge, its always handy and i take my hat off to them and their skills with what they do!

Just gonna have to look at it as lesson learnt with flee bay i suppose as much as it sucks! Best of luck with it
Old 02 July 2012, 02:20 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

Cheers pal, very much in the same boat very handy with spanners and sockets but the technical side of things as i dont build them day in day out you tend to forget.

I have rebuilt many v6 and inline 4s but as they have all been my own i kinda have to trust the supplier will supply the correct part,

but either way i will see how the dispute goes but hey lesson learnt , although i did speak to these guys and they seemed to know what they were on about so i went with them.

But i did phone them tell them what i had and they said this will be the correct kit.

Cheers Guys
Old 02 July 2012, 02:45 PM
Infected by sti
Scooby Regular

I think the biggest problem is they are a supplier for parts and not an engine tuner / builder which is where like we say the technical side comes in to it and evey sale is money in their pockets! From here on in bud id bite the bullet and order through a proven knowledgeable source, like david said costs alot more in the long run, im building mine on a budget but have always said i wont cut corners ( not implying you have in any shape way or form!! ) but unless its proven tested and guaranteed i will not buy any of my parts off ebay apart from trivial items such as polished bolts or what have you unless pointed in that direction by a pro
Old 02 July 2012, 02:49 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

http://www.b4et.com/docs/cr_matrix.pdf

well i found this and now im on the phone to them
Old 02 July 2012, 03:03 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

found this : if your engine is designed for a thicker head gasket (phase 1 engines) and you switch to a considerably thinner gasket, then your timing belt will have extra slack in it that the tensioner is not designed to take up. thats why phase 2 engines (eg: WRX/STi) have the "extra tiny idler". so if you do that, you'll want to use that extra tiny idler. if your engine was not originally designed to have the extra tiny idler, you'll need to change the mounting plate for the tensioner to the newer WRX style, which has the mount for the tiny idler
Old 02 July 2012, 03:58 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

well spoke to supplier they will do me the 1.4mm cometic and a new sump gasket for £60 so happy days now.
Old 02 July 2012, 04:11 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought the OEM gasket thickness was:-

MY93-96 & 97/98 (phase 1 & 1.5) = 1.6mm
MY99/00 (phase 2) = 0.6mm

Old 02 July 2012, 04:17 PM
Donsjapwrx
Scooby Regular

tbh i really dont know but ive figured out the 1.4 mm will be suitable and work fine unless someone can tell me why not? my pistone protrude 0.15thou gasket is 0.55 thou heads has had a light skim.

Car sounded nice when it was on the 0.20thou gasket except if you gave it any rev at all then you could here the piston just tapping the head very light touching

I have changed the rod, bearing piston and pin to be sure though
rechecked block clearnce and still is at 0.15 thou above deck.

Quick Reply: HEAD GASKET THICKNESS