Notices

Cambelt change - how often?

Search this Thread

Old 22 June 2012, 12:43 AM
simonds1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Cambelt change - how often?

Hi guys, hope everybody's good. I just wanted to ask people's opinions on when the cambelt should be changed on an impreza. The service history on mine is a bit.....out of order basically. Like things being done early/late etc and then everytime I come to a service I'm not really sure what service it needs! Car is a MY00 Turbo 2000 UK and is not standard, its 341bhp/352lbft Okay, so in my documents for the car here I have a copy of an old subaru service schedule which says the timing belt should be changed at 45k miles (or 36 months), 60k miles (or 48 months), and 90k miles (or 72 months). Well my cambelt has been changed at 28k (at 48 months), 49k (at 84 months) and 76k (at 108 months). So as you can see from the first change.....it was done waaayyyyy early according to the miles, but late according to the time. And the 3rd change, that was also done very early according to the miles, but very late according to the time! So yeah it's a bit confusing. For me anyway!

So my main question is......bearing in mind my last cambelt change was at 76,664 miles (on 9th October 2009), and the car is now on 99,485 miles and is due a service........should I get the cambelt done or not?

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 22 June 2012, 07:57 AM
Alan Jeffery
Scooby Regular

Location: Enginetuner.co.uk Plymouth Dyno Dynamics RR Engine machining and building EcuTek SimTek mapping
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by simonds1
Hi guys, hope everybody's good. I just wanted to ask people's opinions on when the cambelt should be changed on an impreza. The service history on mine is a bit.....out of order basically. Like things being done early/late etc and then everytime I come to a service I'm not really sure what service it needs! Car is a MY00 Turbo 2000 UK and is not standard, its 341bhp/352lbft Okay, so in my documents for the car here I have a copy of an old subaru service schedule which says the timing belt should be changed at 45k miles (or 36 months), 60k miles (or 48 months), and 90k miles (or 72 months). Well my cambelt has been changed at 28k (at 48 months), 49k (at 84 months) and 76k (at 108 months). So as you can see from the first change.....it was done waaayyyyy early according to the miles, but late according to the time. And the 3rd change, that was also done very early according to the miles, but very late according to the time! So yeah it's a bit confusing. For me anyway!

So my main question is......bearing in mind my last cambelt change was at 76,664 miles (on 9th October 2009), and the car is now on 99,485 miles and is due a service........should I get the cambelt done or not?

Thanks in advance for your help
If I was asked this question by a customer coming in, I'd say it all depends on how you feel about it. It was last changed nearly five years ago, which meets the Subaru criteria. It's also had three belts in its lifetime. Is it likely to break any day soon? I'd say very unlikely, so it boils down to what sort of person you are. The careful, glass half empty type would want it changed. The pragmatic, glass half full sort would guess it's just fine.
Your choice!