Notices

Newage wrx intermittent low power/boost problem

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2012, 12:22 AM
ollieod
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newage wrx intermittent low power/boost problem

Hi, can't find an answer for this anywhere and my local garage is clueless so any help would be much appreciated.
My newage standard wrx keeps having spells of really low power and struggling through the rev range. It does this for approx 100 miles then returns to normal for 500+ miles and happens again. When it's like this it also seems to use a lot more fuel and it doesn't give any warning lights or anything.

Thanks in advance
Old 24 May 2012, 07:46 AM
retarded
Scooby Regular

I apologise if you have already considered this but it sounds like your MAF is malfunctioning. In the first instance try disconnecting it the next time the symptoms arise and if the cars performance improves you have your answer.

Alternatively it could be a knock sensor, I once had a 2.5 litre legacy engine that did similar things and once the knock sensor was replaced it was good again.

Does sound like your MAF though.
Old 24 May 2012, 06:32 PM
ollieod
Scooby Newbie

Hi, thanks. I hadn't tried this but have just done so and the power is definately improved and there's no hesitation through the rev range but it's not as powerful as it usually is when it runs ok. Could this just be because I haven't got the MAF connected at all right now?
Old 24 May 2012, 06:59 PM
retarded
Scooby Regular

it does tend to suggest its the MAF, have you done around 60,000 miles or more on your car?

the reason it will be more responsive but not your usual manic WRX responsive is because when you disconnect the MAF the computer defaults to a simple and safe map for ignition and air/ fuel mixtures... meaning it will run, but it will run around 75% efficiency...

get a new MAF, geniune, dont try a cheap ebay knock off it will only fail or be incorrect and you will be back where you started again in quick order... also dont delay, the longer you leave the MAF off the more damage you can do to your catalytic converters on account of it being run too rich.

good luck
Old 25 May 2012, 02:55 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Check your spark plugs mate, they would also explain some of the issues you're seeing.
MAF failure is far more common on some classic models than it is on newage.

I had hesitation on acceleration and poor economy, although it was more intermittent than what you're describing; replaced the spark plugs and car run 100 times better.
Also, check your coil packs etc aren't damaged or loose.