Notices

Running a different year lambda sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2012, 11:45 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running a different year lambda sensor?

I recently put a s/h lambda sensor onto my remapped Scoob after the thread on the old one was chewed and blowing.

Just been looking on Importcarparts website and there are three types for classic uk Imprezas, 92-96, 96-98 and 98-00. Mine is a my99 one and the picture shows its got little dimple holes on the sensor tip whereas the older ones have like a groove on them. I've noticed on my sensor it has a groove suggesting it may be an older one (the plug connection is three wires and fits fine).

I'll have to check the part number obviously when I can but is the Scoob safe to drive or would it run lean/rich of the sensor was different. FWIW the old sensor with the chewed thread was Bosch and I believe the current one with a different tip is too.

Thanks in advance.

Andy
Old 21 May 2012, 12:13 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Bump
Old 22 May 2012, 07:00 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 99/00 lambda sensor will have 3 plugs,but so do some of the other ones fitted to other models. A 99/00 lambda will have a white plug with 2 silver pins & 1 gold pin iirc.
The dimple(holes) in 1 sensor & the grooves(4/5) in the other make no difference as both are made by bosch and just different designs. I have both types and both work fine with the car.
It is no use connecting up the black wires to see if it faulty as it does not always show due to the low voltage,better to do a engine reset(green & black) as this will flash up code 32 if lambda is knackered.

I recently bought a 2nd hand unit off a guy on here for £10 as a spare.It is currently being used in my car & after my recent map tweak by Bob,he confirmed its running fine,so no need to spend £100+ imho
Part no for the dimple one is : A24-A71 107 05110

Last edited by midnight; 22 May 2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 22 May 2012, 07:42 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Thanks for that. It is a white 3 pin plug but I didn't know if using an earlier one (if indeed it is) would cause an issue with my mixture (run lean or rich). I'll keep an eye on my mpgs as you can usually tell something's wrong if you drop into the teens when pooling along
Old 22 May 2012, 02:38 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Thanks for that. It is a white 3 pin plug but I didn't know if using an earlier one (if indeed it is) would cause an issue with my mixture (run lean or rich). I'll keep an eye on my mpgs as you can usually tell something's wrong if you drop into the teens when pooling along
It should cause you know issues as the one Bob Rawle used when mapping my car 3 weeks ago was an grooved one .
Old 22 May 2012, 02:49 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Lol @ your signature Bypass heaven!

I wonder aside from 3/4 pin types why there isn't a generic lambda sensor for the classics rather than the three different ones?

Least I know now if it's low mpgs, the sensors duff and not the wrong 'un.
Old 22 May 2012, 03:09 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

The lambdas are different because on earlier cars they are located in the headers. 96 - 98 have a cream coloured plug in the downpipe,99/00 - the later classics as you know have a white plug.