Notices

TomTom XL 7 Others No Signal - FIX

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2012, 08:31 AM
Fleetster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TomTom XL 7 Others No Signal - FIX

Thought i'd share my fix for my Tom Tom...

A few weeks ago my Tom Tom XL wouldnt find a signal, i tried everything I could while in the car, turning it off and on, doing the system reset etc etc nothing worked, then all of a suddon about 10 miles down the road it just started working..
Then on Sunday it worked fine on the way out, but on the way back turned it on and again no signal, again i tried everything I could while in the car, turning it off and on, doing the system reset etc etc nothing worked, but this time it stayed not working turned it on again yesterday and still nothing.....
So did a bit of research and apparently:
"Since Saturday 31st March some devices have been having issues getting a GPS signal. We have identified the root cause of the issue which has caused some of our GPS models to not get a GPS position. The issue is caused by a bug in a third party chip"

First of all I reset it back to factory settings, then plugged it in to my laptop, downloaded the Tom Tom software and let it do all the updates which took about 3 mins... at this point I turned it on but still nothing..
I then read I had to check that the version was 11.037.... if it wasnt try clearing the cache in MyTomTom and redownload by clicking on the TomTom icon in the lower-right corner of your computer screen to open the MyTomTom support application. Then click Settings, select the Cache tab, click Empty the cache and finally click Save settings.
Luckily for me I had this version, so I replugged the satnav back in to the laptop and it came up with another update which took about 10 mins.
I then manually reset the device by pressing the power button for just over 15 seconds until you hear the drum sound, took it outside and heypresto, i now have gps signal again , hopefully this has fixed it and not just a fluke.... we'll see