Head Gasket question

Search this Thread

Old 29 April 2012, 04:01 PM
spowy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head Gasket question

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone can help with this its not a impreza question but is a subaru question, now that I have put my impreza back on the road for the summer I have taken my subaru legacy off the road to do the clutch and head gaskets.

My new cylinder head gaskets came yesterday for my ej251 n/a engine they are multi layered and measure 1.3mm, they are thicker than the original failed oem gaskets that are single layered.

Does anyone know the oem gasket thickness before its compressed, has anyone else fitted 1.3mm multi layered head gaskets to a sohc ej251 engine bearing in mind the cylinder heads have been checked and they aren't warped as the car hasn't overheated head gaskets are being replaced to get rid of an external oil leak that has been a problem for the past 2 years so haven't been machined.

my next concern is the new gaskets because they are 1.3mm and the old single layer gaskets look paper thin will this space the heads out enough to cause a problem when refitting the inlet manifold.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers Chris

Last edited by spowy; 29 April 2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 29 April 2012, 05:33 PM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With all these questions I think you may be taking on a bit much to do yourself. It may be best to pay a professional to do it for you.
I would also have the heads and decks checked for flatness as it may be leaking oil due to slightly being uneven.
The gaskets will only line up all the holes one way so you can't get it wrong.
As far as gasket thickness goes this is crucial. You could calculate your CR but this is not simple unless you are a real pro. The other option is to assume the current CR is correct & then add thickness removed from block & heads onto the gaskets to retain the same CR.