Notices

Faint knocking, piston slap!

Search this Thread

Old 25 April 2012, 08:19 PM
stualex
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Faint knocking, piston slap!

As I do with all second hand cars I buy I'm convinced the previous wanted to sell as the car was ready to explode. Never has been the case and I'm very technically minded but still sceptical!

I must strees this knocking noise is faint and I do generally have good hearing.

Anyway my car has the usual piston slap from cold, although its barely that audible and seems to pretty much go away when up to temperature. Today tho I noticed that if I held the revs at around 1200RPM I got a slight knocking sound, when I say slight I mean slight, with the blower on No.2 you cant even hear it. Stuck my head under the bonnet and slowly raised the revs and couldn't hear anything untoward and certainly nothing like the faint knocking noise I got when sat in the drivers seat.

I think I'm just being over cautious but thought someone might have experienced something similar!

Cheers
Old 25 April 2012, 08:50 PM
Baz82
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stualex
As I do with all second hand cars I buy I'm convinced the previous wanted to sell as the car was ready to explode. Never has been the case and I'm very technically minded but still sceptical!

I must strees this knocking noise is faint and I do generally have good hearing.

Anyway my car has the usual piston slap from cold, although its barely that audible and seems to pretty much go away when up to temperature. Today tho I noticed that if I held the revs at around 1200RPM I got a slight knocking sound, when I say slight I mean slight, with the blower on No.2 you cant even hear it. Stuck my head under the bonnet and slowly raised the revs and couldn't hear anything untoward and certainly nothing like the faint knocking noise I got when sat in the drivers seat.

I think I'm just being over cautious but thought someone might have experienced something similar!

Cheers
Could be just a noisy lifter, My own has that problem and has been like that for over a year
Old 26 April 2012, 11:52 AM
WMS
Scooby Regular

Is it worse when its warm? Unliely to be a lifter on a 1998, they are the solid type.
Old 26 April 2012, 12:07 PM
stualex
Scooby Regular

It's hardly even noticeable when warm, I have to park in a silent place, turn off radio and fans, shut the windows then I can just about hear it at around 1200RPM if I concentrate hard enough.

I can't hear it with the window open and not from inside the engine bay.

I'm used to the V6 on my old Mondeo which was silky smooth and quiet and I think I'm just being over cautious.

Cheers for the comments tho.
Old 26 April 2012, 12:34 PM
Bristol98
Scooby Regular

Subaru paranoia at its best! When I hear a stone flick up and hit the bottom of the car/exhaust its soooooooooooo hard not to stop to make sure something hasn't fallen off!
Old 26 April 2012, 05:33 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One possibility is the cambelt tensioner. They can 'bounce' slightly against the stop. More noticable at lowish revs as the belt is trying to flap (for want of a better word!) due to the forces of the cams. Tends to smooth out at higher revs as the frequency of compressing the springs get higher.

JohnD
Old 26 April 2012, 05:36 PM
stualex
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JohnD
One possibility is the cambelt tensioner. They can 'bounce' slightly against the stop. More noticable at lowish revs as the belt is trying to flap (for want of a better word!) due to the forces of the cams. Tends to smooth out at higher revs as the frequency of compressing the springs get higher.

JohnD
I'll take a look at that tomorrow.

Cheers