Notices

No Boost Whining Turbo After Dyno Run

Search this Thread

Old 16 April 2012, 07:07 PM
rossl
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Boost Whining Turbo After Dyno Run

Took my 06 WRX to check power on a dyno today but during the first run there was a noise like a hose had popped off and loose of power. The intercooler was taken off and no hoses were split etc etc but when put back on the same problem. The noise (and power loss) when from a light wine to really loud whine in the space of a couple of minutes whilst looking for air leaks.

The whine coincides with boost building up and gets louder with more revs but only really makes a noise under load in neutral it only appears almost at the redline.

It shows all the symptoms of a turbo failure, loud whine and no boost but can a turbo fail this quickly? Up to that point no smoke or any problems what so ever.

I've read all the posts that I can find but can not find anything that happened as quick as this. Just would appreciate any advice on anything that I can check or put my mind at ease or not.........
Old 16 April 2012, 07:27 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Could well be the up-pipe blowing. Haf a similar thing with mine. Under load was making a hell of a noise. I found the header to up-pipe gasket had blown
Old 17 April 2012, 06:39 PM
tom-r33
Scooby Regular

had similar, turned out the oil feed to the turbo was wrong and starved it of oil

if i was you i'd inspect the turbo for damage. easy to do, just remove intake pipe and look in the compressor housing to see if the impeller has been rubbing it
Old 17 April 2012, 07:03 PM
rossl
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replys and having the turbo taken out properly tomorrow but it does not look good, no leaking gaskets or pipes and the mechanic I use is pretty convinced the turbos gone. Some one else mentioned it could of been starved of oil and to check the pipe. How do I know if it is the correct one? I had a TD04 that I upgraded to a VF35 would it have come with the VF35? Would it need to have been changed from the one the TD04 had?