just brought a classic sti

Search this Thread

Old 04 April 2012, 07:13 PM
Boost luver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just brought a classic sti

Hi guys
Well iv returned to my roots after going over to the dark side a few years a go (evo 6) iv come back to a subaru, had a big power evo and to be honest its been more hassle than its worth.. oh well

So iv just brought a white 1997 sti reg is (R16 STJ) if anyone no's this car?, the guy who i brought it off didt really no a lot about it i had a look around it and underneath is like new so with a few problems that it had like, slipping clutch and a oil leak from the front we did a deal.

Iv just had the oil leak done (was the crank seal) now i just need get a clutch it in as it starts to slip in higher gears.
What would you guy's reccomend clutch wise im not going for silly power but want something that is within its limits of say 360/360.
Having looked over the engine it suppose be a sti but does not have the red inlet?? it has the cooler and other bolt on bits along with a vf35 turbo dont no if this is standard on this model??
Is there anyway of telling by the block if its a genuine sti engine? the guy said it had a rebuild i called up the garage today they said this could be true as all the pullys/seals looked new and the block is sprayed a light gold coloure sounds sweet as a nut.

The car is standard as far as im aware apart from 17" speedlines and 3" system and no cat it peaks just over 1bar boost, every time i let off it pops and a flame/flash comes out the exhaust is this right or could it be a fueling problem?

Any info on getting me back on track with the impreza's would be great as im a bit rusty haha.

Regards steve
Old 04 April 2012, 07:26 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

vf35 not standard should have a vf23 . with full decat and 3 inch system needs a map if not already others will tell u same prob why flameage lol . the red paint prob come off inlet by now mine done 60 k and nearly all gone . dunno how to check if genuine sti engine
Old 04 April 2012, 09:06 PM
Boost luver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sonic93
vf35 not standard should have a vf23 . with full decat and 3 inch system needs a map if not already others will tell u same prob why flameage lol . the red paint prob come off inlet by now mine done 60 k and nearly all gone . dunno how to check if genuine sti engine
Cheers for the reply mate.

When all the little problems have been sorted i was thinking of just getting the map and afr's checked.
There is no evidence of red paint, the bottom end is also sprayed light gold maybe done when it had a rebuild

Would it be worth putting a fmic on it as iv read it makes the inlet temp's a lot safer? if so might as well get this done before the map.
Old 04 April 2012, 09:59 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If fmic fitted drive off boost till mapped there a lot of failures because of this . Try get them checked soon as mate . U sure vf35 ? Surely shouldn't run right with turbo ect?
Old 04 April 2012, 11:24 PM
Boost luver
Scooby Regular

I was told the other day it was a vf35 by a friend is there numbers on the turbo that can be seen to confirm this? as he just looked and said it was a vf35 that means nothing to me but if it has the 35 and 3" system it might of been mapped?
I will get them checked either way just for piece of mind, what oil is also best to go in i use to use 10/60 millers dont no if this is still recommended.

Cheers
Old 04 April 2012, 11:52 PM
mantazini
Scooby Regular

10/60 is for a track work bud, summertime might be ok. But id go for 10/40, 10/50. You dont need to go mad with the oil at this stage. There are decent easter oils like millers or silkolene for fast road/track use and save a few quid.
Old 05 April 2012, 09:34 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As you lift up the bonnet does the turbo have a heatshield covering it ? .If it does it may be the std turbo(vf23) if not have a look on the casing above where it says IHI turbo,and see what number is stamped on there.If it is a vf35 ,have a look under the carpet in the passengers footwell and you will see a metal plate . Take off the 4 x 10mm bolts and underneath you will find the ecu.On the top of the ecu there should be a sticker with a number on it(std is 6S iirc) , IE: 4B,3S,Y7,SP,etc.Post up what turbo you have and the ecu number and we should be able to advise you further.

Last edited by midnight; 05 April 2012 at 09:42 AM.
Old 05 April 2012, 11:51 AM
s13silvia
Scooby Regular

Best way to tell is get a torch and look at the front cam cover (the black plastic panel going along the front of the engine), now look directly below the alternator near the ground, go left a bit -and you'll find a white label with the full engine number. This will tell you if it's a WRX engine or STI