Notices

Broken Speedo Drive

Search this Thread

Old 30 March 2012, 07:20 PM
ross87
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Speedo Drive

Hi, I have a 1993 Impreza WRX Import with 150k on the clock bought very recently. Whilst driving (sensibly) back from North Wales my speedo stopped working! As a result the Check Engine light is on and the car is in Limp home mode - no revving over 4.5k -

After checking through other similar posts on here I have tried all the usual suspects being the km/h to mph adapter, the clocks and the lower speedo cable. I have gone so far as to take the bottom cable off and spin it from there this causes the clock to read, so the cable seems to be fine. I noted the orientation of the notch in the top of the cable drive unit in the gearbox, took the car round the corner and back and low and behold the notch is in the same place eeek does this mean I have stripped the speedo drive gear in the box??!? I gather it's plastic..

Have I exhausted all other options? and if I have stripped it is there a way round it, I have recently rebuilt the gearbox on my Turbo 2000 and really don't want to do it again on this one!

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I'm not adverse to the old bodge it until I can find a real solution!

Applicable Car Details:
Kreg WRX Import
Standard Box as far as I am aware
Standard dials although they have the white Lockwood backs
Has the km/h to mph adapter inbetween the dials cable and the lower cable just by the turbo.
Old 13 April 2012, 09:48 PM
ross87
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok in case anyone is keeping an eye on this, I have managed a quick fix until I can find another gearbox - and some money to buy it with!

I have bought a 12V cordless drill for £10 and linked it up to the battery, connected it to the speedo cable and strapped it all securely under the bonnet. Put a switch to the drill on the dash and it spins the speedo round at a constant read of 55mph. This tricks the ecu into thinking all is fine and woohoo no more engine warning light and full power

I have bought a digital gps speedo so I can see how fast I am actually going!

I know it a massive bodge but when needs must, it means I can use the car like normal now until I can get a box! I will post if anything untoward happens as a result of this but it's been going strong for a fair few miles now!!