Notices

Running Costs of WRX 2lt Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2012, 09:18 AM
DrummerAlex
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Costs of WRX 2lt Turbo

Hi, I am seriously considering buying a 2005 WRX 2lt turbo but I cant find allot of information regarding the running cost of a Subaru. I’ve never owed a Subaru before so not sure how much MPG I’d expect to get, how often they need to be serviced, what the common faults are and anything else I haven’t considered. I average 1400 miles per month just driving to and from work so not even sure if getting a Subaru is practical.....
Any advise would be a great help !!
Old 28 March 2012, 09:27 AM
d4vidh
Scooby Regular

At a generous figure of around 26mpg, 1400 miles a month driving will cost you around £400 a month just in fuel (minimum)
Old 28 March 2012, 09:29 AM
LewisL
Scooby Regular

I get about 300miles to a tank on my standard 2002 wrx

Service every year or 10k I think?
Old 28 March 2012, 09:53 AM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Once i had my WRX mapped by duncan at Racedynamics my MPG increased a lot! I only use V power and dont spend anywhere near £400 a month. Its more like £250ish, and I drive to work everyday. Although, when I drive to work, i dont drive like a maniac.
Old 28 March 2012, 09:54 AM
andy.downes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LewisL
I get about 300miles to a tank on my standard 2002 wrx

Service every year or 10k I think?
300 miles to a tank
Just about reach 30 mpg with mixed driving, not hammering it
Service every year or 10k, which ever comes first
Old 28 March 2012, 11:26 AM
DrummerAlex
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Reshard1977
Once i had my WRX mapped by duncan at Racedynamics my MPG increased a lot! I only use V power and dont spend anywhere near £400 a month. Its more like £250ish, and I drive to work everyday. Although, when I drive to work, i dont drive like a maniac.
How many miles do you do a month ?
Old 28 March 2012, 11:31 AM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DrummerAlex
How many miles do you do a month ?
Well, this is the thing, the miles i do change from week to week, and i spend half my daily drive on the motorway, and half of the journey in town, getting to the motorway. But, on average, I do about 100 miles a week.

If you are wanting to keep the costs of fuel down, with extra power, you should speak to a good mapper (i fully recommend Duncan) about a new map/upgrades that will give you what you want. This way, you'll be aware of the costs before investing.

Trending Topics

Old 28 March 2012, 01:01 PM
speedking
Scooby Regular

Comparing a 100 miles a week to >300 miles a week So your £250 a month would be £750/month for the OP! Your figures must be wrong, £50 / 100miles (14mpg) is not a good advert for mapping.

IMO servicing, tyres etc. are similar to other performance cars. Small things don't tend to go wrong.
Old 28 March 2012, 01:09 PM
Reshard1977
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
Comparing a 100 miles a week to >300 miles a week So your £250 a month would be £750/month for the OP! Your figures must be wrong, £50 / 100miles (14mpg) is not a good advert for mapping.

IMO servicing, tyres etc. are similar to other performance cars. Small things don't tend to go wrong.
LOL i knew someone was going to question this. I should of emphasized that its a rough average. Often its a lot higer, but rearly lower than 100 a week.

For the performance i have, the fuel costs are VERY reasonable.

Agreed that tyres, etc. should be in tip top condition to get the best performance/mpg back.
Old 28 March 2012, 03:11 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have recently purchase a 2.0L WRX & you are correct in carefully weighing up the costs. I use the car daily, mostly urban driving with a light right foot. Around town I average 22ish mpg howerver that can increase on motorway driving to 28ish mpg & I find better fuel consumtion @ 70-80mph rather than 55-60mph.
Other costs to be aware of are increased insurance costs plus the inclusion of mods to the car & road tax (all mods ought to be declared as a legal requirement as far as I am informed). Manufacturers parts can be expensive but there a hosts of good breakers on this forum to buy secong hand but again you have to be careful. Things like a tracker add to annual costs as do modifications if you go down that route.
Take due care what you buy as many can be thrashed or tampered with by a DIYer rather than an enthusiast, check all service history even from what a garage may tell you. Have someone who is knowledgeable about subaru's check the car out and be patient when buying. Make a list of what you want & try not to compromise too much on your original spec list.
I change the oil etc every 4k miles due to mostly urban driving & this expense needs to be considered as well.
Warning!! If you buy one it will be harder than you think to get rid, its easy to get attached to them, they are like a drug. When I drive my wife's car now it is so difficult as it feels so unresponsive, no pick up speed, acceleration blah blah blah.
Old 28 March 2012, 08:59 PM
mikescooby
Scooby Regular

easy to buy one but hard to try and sell it. i want to sell mine but when i drive it, i want to keep it. but im more in selling it, untill the clutch went on it. so now i have to get that done
Old 30 March 2012, 09:23 AM
-markie-
Scooby Newbie

If you want a car thats good on fuel then don't get a subaru.

If you want a car with high performance that will put a smile on your face every time you start it/drive it - get a subaru.
Old 30 March 2012, 09:31 AM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by -markie-
If you want a car thats good on fuel then don't get a subaru.

If you want a car with high performance that will put a smile on your face every time you start it/drive it - get a subaru.