Notices

Spec C intake

Search this Thread

Old 13 March 2012, 05:41 AM
Cd09
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spec C intake

I have the tumble generator valve engine fault coming up on my car (06STI type UK) every so often on start up. I haven’t figured out if it’s an electronic or mechanical problem yet. So I figured best way is to get rid of them and go for the ol' TGV delete.

Ideally I would like the Spec C intake manifold... Does anyone know of any snags fitting a Spec C intake to a type UK car? For example, I heard that they use different fuel rails.. How would I get round these sorts of issues if there are any.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Charlie
Old 13 March 2012, 06:48 AM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

You will need to change your fuel rails - you can make up brackets to fit the original ones but they are not available off the shelf as far as I'm aware (Gruppe-S used to make them but would only sell with a manifold not on their own).

Also need shorter bolts to bolt to the heads, and I found the vacuum take offs to be in slightly different locations and also had to blank one off (fitted to a 2002 WRX)
Old 13 March 2012, 03:02 PM
Cd09
Scooby Regular

Thanks, this is very helpful. Any idea where i could acquire the bolts from?
Old 13 March 2012, 03:53 PM
Cd09
Scooby Regular

update.. Roger clark motorsport can supply me the fuel rail brackets.
Old 13 March 2012, 07:03 PM
BlueBugEye
Scooby Regular

Bolts - mine are just std stainless bolts just guessed the correct size!
Old 13 March 2012, 07:26 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running the CDF Billet fuel rails which are originally for WRX and Neil@Slowboy racing has made for us different brackets

You don't need different fuel rails,you can re-use any rails,just you will need get different brackets

Jura
Old 16 March 2012, 04:38 PM
Cd09
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jura.

Is there any other bits and bobs i might need to go along with it... appart from gaskets bolts and fuel rail brackets? Those are the only things i can think of at the moment.

ta
Old 16 March 2012, 05:36 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cd09
Thanks Jura.

Is there any other bits and bobs i might need to go along with it... appart from gaskets bolts and fuel rail brackets? Those are the only things i can think of at the moment.

ta

You are probably have everything what you are need,just after fitting the Spec C manifold,you can get TGV error(this is only case of WRX and some late STi),which can be easily done by your mapper

About the rails,some people using cheap ebay rails without the problem,have look on 22b,where is thread,not everything cheap is bad

Jura
Old 16 March 2012, 07:49 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Tbh your better off fitting the cosworth hi flo manifold & tgv block delete kit with phenolic gaskets / you want a job doin / do it right first time , jst my opinion / other than that
Go For it !!!!!!
Old 16 March 2012, 07:55 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jazzyjembreaze
Tbh your better off fitting the cosworth hi flo manifold & tgv block delete kit with phenolic gaskets / you want a job doin / do it right first time , jst my opinion / other than that
Go For it !!!!!!

Spec C manifold flow enough for 500bhp+,Cosworth i would suggest above 600bhp+

Plus with Spec C manifold he don't need the TGV delete blocks

Jura
Old 16 March 2012, 08:25 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Cosworth manifold would work on sub- 500 applications no problem / but I get what your saying (so on the spec c side of things , it's a cheaper alternative given you can find 1
/ as I have a hawk I can only speak for myself - I'm not entirely sure I would be happy bolting a 2.0 manifold onto a 2.5 / my choice was the cosworth , & if that was unsuccessful I would have removed the tgv's in my standard intake / anyways ,its all good & I hope it works out for you
Old 16 March 2012, 09:05 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Cosworth manifold would work on sub- 500 applications no problem / but I get what your saying (so on the spec c side of things , it's a cheaper alternative given you can find 1
/ as I have a hawk I can only speak for myself - I'm not entirely sure I would be happy bolting a 2.0 manifold onto a 2.5 / my choice was the cosworth , & if that was unsuccessful I would have removed the tgv's in my standard intake / anyways ,its all good & I hope it works out for you
Cosworth manifold on sub 500bhp car is just wasting the money,nothing more.
You current STI manifold and TGV delete is capable run 500bhp+

Why you wouldn't be happy bolting the 2.0L manifold on 2.5L?

Difference between the yours is in the DBW and you have TGV still in place,2.0L is usually TGV free(STi one) and Spec C is one-piece manifold without the TGV etc.

Jura
Old 17 March 2012, 06:46 PM
Cd09
Scooby Regular

Hm hadn’t considered about the 2.0 vs the 2.5 difference, im not looking for major power, and I want to retain the standard look.. I haven’t bought anything yet, making sure I have everything in place... Obviously the car will be mapped for it, but is there a difference in the internal diameter of the manifold runners on the Spec C manifold vs the Type UK one??

If only I could access blueprints for all the parts on my car
Old 17 March 2012, 07:12 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Don't quote me on this / but I would say so ., as Jura says , the spec c is a 1 piece manifold so it's internal bend degree must be shallow as its a shorter item ( hence ) the short bolt fit - unlike the European spec with 2 piece manifold & blocks ( this has been discussed on other threads ( there is no evidence (dyno) or other that there is a restriction in a flow mass from 1 manifold - 2 another with tgv's deleted , but if I was deleting my tgv's from my standard 2.5 I would deff port both blocks & manifold to suit , however the cosworth manifold is a hi flow item as are the delete blocks / I can't say what a spec c intake tract looks like coz I don't own 1 / the differance would be minute tho in real world figures /
Old 17 March 2012, 09:02 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cd09
Hm hadn’t considered about the 2.0 vs the 2.5 difference, im not looking for major power, and I want to retain the standard look.. I haven’t bought anything yet, making sure I have everything in place... Obviously the car will be mapped for it, but is there a difference in the internal diameter of the manifold runners on the Spec C manifold vs the Type UK one??

If only I could access blueprints for all the parts on my car
This should help you

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-manifold.html

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2229576

Jura
Old 17 March 2012, 09:36 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Well found Jura / so giving that gains from the intake side have been documented as much as 10-20 whp with tgv deletes with all the right accomp mods / I would assume that's on high end power cars 600 +
Given that as stated in thread - intake side isn't that restrictive on thease cars - what likely gains are to be had on circa 350 - 450 cars ?
Not a great deal it would seem / sure £1600 against £100-£200 is a no brainer / but that's the roll of the dice
Old 17 March 2012, 10:03 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Well found Jura / so giving that gains from the intake side have been documented as much as 10-20 whp with tgv deletes with all the right accomp mods / I would assume that's on high end power cars 600 +
Given that as stated in thread - intake side isn't that restrictive on thease cars - what likely gains are to be had on circa 350 - 450 cars ?
Not a great deal it would seem / sure £1600 against £100-£200 is a no brainer / but that's the roll of the dice
With TGV in place some people say,you are restricted in above 400bhp,but i know guy which still running above 400bhp with TGV in place,but if he swap for TGV delete how much he will gain,simply i don't know,but guessing 10-20bhp

Intake with TGV in place will be restrictive above 400-450bhp,but at 350bhp car should be no restrictive,but again is only guessing game,on Nasioc are documented gains after fitting TGV delete,which are somewhere in above mentioned figures

£1600 Cosworth manifold vs £200 Spec C manifold, decision is yours there and really i would go with aftermarket manifold above 600bhp,bellow your STi with TGV or even Spec C manifold will be enough

If i would go with Manifold i would go with Corsa Veloce,no gains but looks just awesome

http://www.corsa-veloce.com/

Jura
Old 17 March 2012, 11:21 PM
Cd09
Scooby Regular

Woah.. thanks.. there is a load of info here now for me to sift through... the main thing for me is just the elimination of the TGV's without having to go through the fuss of doing my own tgv delete. My car wont be going beyond the 400bhp mark at any point, 350 and sub 400 is fine for me. I have looked at the cosworth TGV deletes as well... but herd they need a little modification to fit i think? But I want to get away with as little fiddling as possible other then the actual fitting of parts
Old 17 March 2012, 11:30 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi there i've still WRX intake manifold with TGV delete(i want to sell at some point),which we are want to use,but at the end we are went with Spec C,we are get good deal on spec C intake manifold

Here is it

Name:  FILE0008.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  84.6 KB

Name:  FILE0010.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  78.3 KB

Its powdercoated black

Jura
Old 17 March 2012, 11:34 PM
rickya
Scooby Regular

Jdm sti ver 9\10 and maybe 8, inlet manifold is same as Spec C iirc.
Old 18 March 2012, 02:51 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rickya
Jdm sti ver 9\10 and maybe 8, inlet manifold is same as Spec C iirc.
Yes Ricky JDM STi V8/V9/V10 are same as Spec C,good point and i forgot about this

Jura
Old 24 March 2012, 04:51 PM
Cd09
Scooby Regular

I think im going to go with the cosworth TGV delete kit

http://www.litchfieldimports.co.uk/p...0190&ve=&manu=

It says in the blurb about it being specifically for 2007+ cars. Mine is a 2006 STI, i phoned litchfield up and they said it would be fine.

The injectors on my car are top feed arnt they?? Does anyone know for sure?
Old 24 March 2012, 05:27 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Hawkeye 2.5 yes top feed m8