dont know what else to try?????

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2012, 03:44 PM
danny-goddard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dont know what else to try?????

Hi all,
Ok I bought my 2002 sti 8 months ago with 47k on the clock, it drove as tight as a drum, however over the last 6 weeks or so I've had some issues with the handling and also a "clunk" noise,
I went over the car and ended up replacing the 2 front drive shafts as the cv joints had play in them, that didn't solve the noise, I've done the box and diff oil, so after weeks of looking listening and checking all suspension components I'm still no further into resolving it!
Last week I rotated my tyres and when I drove the car it was pulling severely to the right, I jacked her back up to look at the wheels only to discover some numpty has fitted a different speed rated tyre! All are pirrellis but one of the 4 it y rated tyre and a good half inch bigger in diameter, this was obviously the reason it was pulling,
Today I've been out and treated it to a full set of toyo's, it now drives true and feels much more settled, however.....the clunk is still there at very low speed in either forward or reverse/straight or turning, the only way I can describe it is by saying at low speeds like walking pace I get a clunk clunk clunk everytime the wheel makes a full rotation, as soon is I speed up it goes? I'm really stuck guys so any suggestions would be massively appreciated,
Old 03 March 2012, 03:53 PM
craigo
Scooby Regular

sounds like the suspension top mount to me
Old 03 March 2012, 08:02 PM
master yoda
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Knockimg noise

Hi,just read your post and can tell you exactly wot your noise on the rear is, it's the rear shocks the make that knocking you discribe, it's extremely common and all STI'S suffer from it. It;s not dangerous but annouying,it is curable but you have to be clued up on suspension or just replace the shock which are expensive, however most people change the complete suspension with coilovers of their choice, mine has been kike it for the two years i've had it and most of the guys I know got the same noise. For a complete summory or explaination go on the subaru impreza drivers club and look up the technical information of the cause and possible repair.
Good luck.
Old 03 March 2012, 08:04 PM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by master yoda
Hi,just read your post and can tell you exactly wot your noise on the rear is, it's the rear shocks the make that knocking you discribe, it's extremely common and all STI'S suffer from it. It;s not dangerous but annouying,it is curable but you have to be clued up on suspension or just replace the shock which are expensive, however most people change the complete suspension with coilovers of their choice, mine has been kike it for the two years i've had it and most of the guys I know got the same noise. For a complete summory or explaination go on the subaru impreza drivers club and look up the technical information of the cause and possible repair.
Good luck.
+1 i just changed to coilovers, job done
Old 04 March 2012, 06:25 PM
danny-goddard
Scooby Regular

Ok thanks guys I've looked at the repair video, I think il order a set of coilovers for it si fingers crossed it will sort it!
Thanks again
Old 04 March 2012, 08:47 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

it will sort it . That was my 1st post on the forum ! Only just got round to fitting my coilovers last month and clunk is all gone. Other option is new shocks & lowering springs , but i fancied the idea of the adjustability of height/stiffness , even though i havent moved mine from 1st setup !