Notices

I'm majorly down on power. Here's why.

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2012, 07:13 AM
s13silvia
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm majorly down on power. Here's why.

After purchasing an impreza STi V3 Type R from Platinum Imports in Leeds, I've taken it home and realised it's down on power. It feels around 210-220hp.
This wasn't obvious during the test run as I was in the middle of Leeds and couldn't give it any past 2nd gear.

My butt would say it's running 220hp max.

My first thought was low boost/boost leak as I knew it was running a TD05H 16 turbo and some gammy cheap BOV. I purchased a boost gauge and bov bung to make sure boost wasn't the problem (or identify if there is any other boost leak).

But after some investigation last night I have found the reason/s.

First thing I spotted was the ECU was an 8S rather than the 6S ECU it's supposed to run... split it apart to find a throwback to the 90's, a ChipTorque chip board with unknown mapping and 8k limit. Already worried that not many UK tuners could/would map this, it got better when I further investigated the engine..

The car has the STi gearbox as far as I know (and all other STi ancilliaries), and I was under the impression without seeing the pistons there was no way of differentiating EJ20's, however as I peeled back some black-tape on the cam cover last night I found it's running a 'EJ20GDW5NE' engine out the WRX wagon (220hp as far as I'm aware?).

The TD05H wasn't a major issue as apparently they are quite a robust unit and easily cope with tuning, but the engine IS a worry. I now effectively have a 2 door WRX and not STi. Is this engine as capable of running a safe 300-330hp and is it just a case of boost/mapping? Is it as responsive? I'm going to double check the gearbox code as that would be the icing on the cake but any advice on what I should do regarding tuning?

Going to call RA motorsports in perth later today see what they advise too.

Cheers

Last edited by s13silvia; 02 March 2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02 March 2012, 07:36 AM
Shaid
Scooby Regular

Gutted for you
Old 02 March 2012, 07:41 AM
bobby260480
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaid
Gutted for you
^^^+1 Theres some w*%nkers out there why would you put that engine in that car??????
Old 02 March 2012, 07:43 AM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

They've sold you a car that is not as advertised - it's up to them to put right or give you your money back.
Old 02 March 2012, 07:48 AM
s13silvia
Scooby Regular

Cheers, yeah I've advised him of this - he thinks because he put 'sold as seen' on the advert that's an end to it, but I notified him as a trade sale he doens't really have that option as it's against sale of goods and I have right to a full refund during the cooling-off period if the car is not as advertised, he's claiming ignorance about engine codes and gearbox codes etc. yet he breaks and sells hundreds/thousands of car parts each month and has owned many a top Type R/STi impreza. If I notice the lack of power without even having had an impreza I'm sure it didn't escape his attention.

At any rate I wouldnt mind so much if the car is able to be tuned to 300-330hp with just a map as this is what I was aiming for anyway (already has a walbro/sti maf/injectors/intercooler etc).. otherwise the car is fine short of a shoddy paint job.

Last edited by s13silvia; 02 March 2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02 March 2012, 08:01 AM
MDS_WRX
Scooby Regular

There's bound to be other things that you come across, it clearly isn't what it was supposed to be. Just take it back and get a refund today. If he refuses get trading standards involved.
Old 02 March 2012, 08:09 AM
Gigsy
Scooby Regular

As above - I doubt it's just the engine that's not 100%.

Refund and walk away if it were me and then look for a better one.

Ignorance is no defence in law and as you say, sale of goods act should cover you.
Old 02 March 2012, 08:09 AM
s13silvia
Scooby Regular

Unfortunately it's a 600 mile round trip so I can't just pop in. Here's the latest correspondance:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------Subject: Re: Impreza
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 23:47:27 +0000
To: dlongmu@hotmail.com

I cleary stated on the day of purchase i i didnt have time to drive the car as we have vehicles coming and going all the time. Furthermore i then gave you the oppurtunity to test drive the car, any obligations you had should have been stated then and there. That is why the test drive is offered. Futhermore on the receipt it clearly states sold as seen so unfortunately there is nothing more i can do. As you can appreciate i am a very busy person yet i still have answered all your enquiries and helped to fix ur vehicle that you bought with you but i can no longer help you in this matter. I am sorry you feel the way you do but i am a genuine honest seller who gave you as much time and information as i could unfortunately i can do no more.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As much as I appreciate the time and effort put in, the engine is not the engine the car came with and therefore the car is not what is stated in the advert and as a result I've been put seriously out of pocket. I could have picked up an STi 5 door with the real engine for 1k less but figured I'd spend the extra for the 'better car'. I think a refund is in order and I'm happy to drive the car down for a full refund at no extra cost on a day which suits you (I'll still be out of pocket with travelling expenses/insurance etc). As it was advertised through your business it becomes a trade sale and it's your legal obligation to offer either a full refund/ resolve the problem (supply the correct engine)/ provide a replacement car within the cooling-off period, and as a trade sale 'sold as seen' is in direct violation of consumers/sale of goods act. I don't think we need to get all 'legal' about the issue man, but please respect I'm not an idiot about converting engines etc. This should be notified to the buyer and given your profession you're in a position where you should know this info, and even if not it doesn't indemnify you from the act of selling a car with an incorrect engine.

I hope we can sort this out this week.
Thanks,
Old 02 March 2012, 09:22 AM
s13silvia
Scooby Regular

If I can get a reliable 300hp out of the wrx motor without anymore expense than an adjustable actuator and a map then im happy with it.. but if not then ill force a refund.
Old 02 March 2012, 09:40 AM
craigo
Scooby Regular

have you got in touch with citizens advice ! looks like the seller is being a real ****
mate, regarding the mechanicals of your car. you have realised what it is now and going any further throwing money at it is a can of worms you cant open on the cheep side !!
you have been fleeced and from this point on will cost you plenty.

craig
Old 02 March 2012, 09:42 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Originally Posted by Gigsy
They've sold you a car that is not as advertised - it's up to them to put right or give you your money back.
If you have a copy of their ad as a sti, just return it.

TX.
Old 02 March 2012, 09:46 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Tbf the seller might have bought it himself not knowing what you now know ... No defence for him as a trader.

TX.
Old 02 March 2012, 09:55 AM
craigo
Scooby Regular

plus if im not mistaken they should be paying for any costs by yourself, travel back and forth for one !
Old 02 March 2012, 10:20 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firstly, remove this thread whereby you state you'd be happy with the car if it can reach 300bhp. The car is clearly not an STI Type R in it's entirety as it has a 'lesser' engine. Firstly this will make it difficult to sell on and perhaps more importantly, will you really ever be happy with it.

I purchased a boat which had problems, private sale I may add. When I approached the seller less than 24 hours after discovering the problem I was told to 'do one' by the seller. I had the boat fixed and took the seller to the small claims court - and won. Sold As Seen is no defence and does not stand up in court. IMHO I'd say you stand a very good chance of getting your money AND expenses back. Don't mess around, get your money back and go and buy a straight car.
Old 02 March 2012, 10:25 AM
s13silvia
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
Firstly, remove this thread whereby you state you'd be happy with the car if it can reach 300bhp. The car is clearly not an STI Type R in it's entirety as it has a 'lesser' engine. Firstly this will make it difficult to sell on and perhaps more importantly, will you really ever be happy with it.

I purchased a boat which had problems, private sale I may add. When I approached the seller less than 24 hours after discovering the problem I was told to 'do one' by the seller. I had the boat fixed and took the seller to the small claims court - and won. Sold As Seen is no defence and does not stand up in court. IMHO I'd say you stand a very good chance of getting your money AND expenses back. Don't mess around, get your money back and go and buy a straight car.
Cool, good advice.

I've just spoken to RA developments in Perth and he seems to think so long as everything else is STi It's not a bad scenario so long as the engines strong. He said it's very common given the price of STi engine. He reckons 99% chance the problem lies with the map being mapped for an STi with the VF turbo, and it now running a TD05 the fuelling is all to **** (The seller told me he did this change). I could afford to spend 3k on the car and still not lose money given the price I paid. He said bring it down, get a walbro/fse fpr/ngk 6b plugs fitted then they'll take it down to Andy Forrest and I should easily be running 330hp all day long. He also reckoned it's worth switching the TD05h for the VF turbo for response/torque at the cost of peak hp but that's my call. Also offered a full car checkup for free, can't complain at that. He said given the price was 3800 its very cheap for an R and they still hold values of 6.5k plus easy. The car does have lots of acessories included, P1 lip and spoiler, BC coilovers, HKS intake, ninja exhaust, STi v6 seats/wheel/gearknob, 18" inovit's. The only other yellow STi 2 doors I've seen are way over 5k up to 7-8k
Old 02 March 2012, 10:36 AM
craigo
Scooby Regular

Choice is yours at the end of the day whatever path you go down...
here is an STI v6 4 door a had few yrs ago. paint needs looking after !!
Old 02 March 2012, 10:41 AM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I can see where this is going, you'll keep it and sell on as a Type R in the future to some other unsuspecting mug?

TX.
Old 02 March 2012, 10:44 AM
craigo
Scooby Regular

naaaaaa, its documented now. guys on here never forget
Old 02 March 2012, 11:02 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take it back and get your money back, the trader has the responsibility to ensure the goods are as described and if they are not he has to make good. There is no such thing as 'sold as seen' when the good clearly do not match the description unless you could have reasonably known better - he's taped up the engine code FFS
Old 02 March 2012, 11:05 AM
craigo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
Take it back and get your money back, the trader has the responsibility to ensure the goods are as described and if they are not he has to make good. There is no such thing as 'sold as seen' when the good clearly do not match the description unless you could have reasonably known better - he's taped up the engine code FFS

this is what i would do mate !!!!
Old 02 March 2012, 11:16 AM
s13silvia
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Terminator X
I can see where this is going, you'll keep it and sell on as a Type R in the future to some other unsuspecting mug?

TX.

I'd appreciate if that were retracted. If I was planning to do that I wouldn't plaster it over impreza forums, nor looked into getting it sorted - it would have been put straight on ebay once it reached my house. Put it this way, The last 4 cars I sold (over past 4 years) were:

BB4 prelude: bought it for 1k spend 2.5k on it, sold it for 1k
BB3 prelude: bought it for 800, spent 3k on it, sold it for 650
z32 twin turbo manual, utterly MINT condition, not one spec of rust anywhere, 99 spec front end, spend over 2.5k on it running solid 380hp - sold it for 1k flat with long mot and tax
CRX vt, bought for 900 with broken engine and knackered bodywork, rebuilt engine, spent 4k on all new engine ancilliaries which are known to go on hondas, new interior bits, replaced 60% of the body panels and trim, fit loads of 'jdm' parts, brand new Ronal r10 wheels imported from germany. Now selling for £1500 with a long MOT and willing to take lesser offers.

Cars are my hobby, I'm not some 'private trader' as much as I used to think I was a wheeler dealer in my younger days. The Type R was only bought because the CRX was too 'rough to drive' for my partner and it was a compromise between my desire for peformance and the partners desire for an 'easy to drive' car with good rear seat space and a boot for our family. We both like sporty looking cars too. I acctually had my sights on a nearby stripped/caged Z32 with a fully forged engine and uprated turbos but again, for practicalities sake I went with the impreza. It's just a shame it's not as straight as we hoped for.

The only reason this car would go up for sale is if we had the necessity for an MPV and I hope that day doesnt come any time soon and if you do see it (I'm happy to give Reg plate etc.) it will state clearly its a WRX engine and not an STi. We need a daily car and if I did take this back for a refund I'm left carless until I find a suitable alternative.

Edit- in fact, this is the car - it would be good to know if anybody recognises it from another froum member, it was bought from a fella in the Isle of Arran I believe pre-platinum imports. It would be good to know if it was sold with a duff engine, or an STI engine so I could have some evidence of wether the seller is being truthful in any shape or form. The DVLA cant provide his name without a v888 being sent in and I haven't recieved the V5 return yet.
http://pistonheads.com/classifieds/3611067.htm

Last edited by s13silvia; 02 March 2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02 March 2012, 01:18 PM
allsop83
Scooby Regular

Take it back and start again- end of story.

There are plenty of cars out there at reasonable prices that are GENUINE really nice cars- the trader doesn't have a legal leg to stand on.

Stop being the guy who clears up his **** up and take the car back to him.
Old 02 March 2012, 01:23 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

I think you are fella, it's not a Type R as it has he wrong engine in it ... WRX engine too ffs!

TX.

PS There is no ad on your link above, just goes to P/Heads for sale page ... I hope you kept a copy

Last edited by Terminator X; 02 March 2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02 March 2012, 02:53 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

Gutted for you mate. What a pain in the neck.

I original suggested you really need to see the pistons or the camshafts because it is possible to swap the STi internals into a WRX block with no effect at all on the car; but I think the evidence you've uncovered suggests it is about 99% likely you have WRX bits in the engine.

I can understand the decision is tough to take it back or sort it out. Taking it back is a major hassle, although it has to be worth considering. Having the wrong engine in it may not, in itself, be enough to claim false advertising; it's an old car. However, the fact that the car doesn't run properly is a better claim against the seller. You could give him the option of taking the car back or paying for a remap. He at least should pay to have the car fixed to a reasonable standard.

If you are going to stick with it. In terms of the ultimate power possible from the engine, both the STi and the WRX are limited by the con rods to around 350bhp. Your gearbox will be maxed out by then as well. The rev limit is governed more by the valve train, if it is the WRX valve train then you need a lower rev limit. Again, that is no big deal - the TD05 is running out of puff by then anyway. There are a few VF options to consider; some spool a bit better, some generate a bit more boost.

You may have trouble finding anyone who can still map chiptorque boards. I think power engineering and GGR were the last to map them that I can think of, but I don't know whether they still do, and neither are convenient to you. Andy F is a top mapper but you may well need to go to a different system.
Old 02 March 2012, 03:10 PM
s13silvia
Scooby Regular

Fully expected that to happen. Yep I have copies of both PH and Ebay adverts thnx
Old 02 March 2012, 03:14 PM
Sprint Chief
Scooby Regular

I'm sure you've already done the searches, but some good advice here:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/..._from_a_dealer

Note also on traders and private sales further down the same page.
Old 02 March 2012, 03:34 PM
Shaks-STI
Scooby Regular

If the advert says its an STI TypeR then take it back because clearly its not an STI TypeR end off, even though it says on the invoice "sold as seen" that only stands if the car is as described but if the car isnt then the seller has to refund the money or put the car to what it has been advertised.
Old 02 March 2012, 03:44 PM
s13silvia
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Sprint Chief
I'm sure you've already done the searches, but some good advice here:

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/..._from_a_dealer

Note also on traders and private sales further down the same page.
Thanks for that!

He has removed both ebay and pistonheads adverts linking the company to ths sale, however thankfully I have copies of both saved to disk. See correspondance below (read bottom up):

It was not sold as a private sale I have copies of both PH and Ebay adverts linking your company to the sale with no mention of it being private. I notice these have now been removed from the respective hosts. I think it only fair that future correspondance be done directly through my solicitor to avoid any complications or time wasting. The evidence has been submitted and a letter will be forwarded to the company soon. Sorry we couldn't come to an agreement outwith.

Regards,
David

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Subject: Re: Impreza
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 14:46:35 +0000
To: xxxx

Ive taken legal advice your not entitled to a refund or a partial refund, the car was sold as a private sale and im not going to enter into any negotiations.

On 2 Mar 2012, at 12:34, David Longmuir <xxxx> wrote:

I wanted to check where I stood legally and after calls to the DVLA/trading standards/CAB and my solicitor im 100% entitled to a full refund plus any costs incurred as a result of the transaction as the car is significantly not as advertised. It's a trade sale given the cars registered as being sold to the motor trade whilst in your ownership - so trading standards apply therefore 'sold as seen' is written out, and even though you weren't aware of the engine being the wrong spec the responsibility lies with the trader and not the consumer. In honesty though I DO like the car despite it being slow and having a few faults here and there but the fact it's going to cost me a quoted £965 to get it running as a standard STi should be running (correct plugs/fpr and suitable map/board) is a major concern. I'd be happy to hear a proposal for a partial refund to cover some of my losses and that saves us both time and hassle. Have a think and let me know, but I'd need to know today or tomorrow as if I'm going down the full refund route I need to sort out the logistics asap.

Thanks,
David

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: platinumimportsuk
Subject: RE: Impreza
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 06:25:23 +0000

As much as I appreciate the time and effort put in, the engine is not the engine the car came with and therefore the car is not what is stated in the advert and as a result I've been put seriously out of pocket. I could have picked up an STi 5 door with the real engine for 1k less but figured I'd spend the extra for the 'better car'. I think a refund is in order and I'm happy to drive the car down for a full refund at no extra cost on a day which suits you (I'll still be out of pocket with travelling expenses/insurance etc). As it was advertised through your business it becomes a trade sale and it's your legal obligation to offer either a full refund/ resolve the problem (supply the correct engine)/ provide a replacement car within the cooling-off period, and as a trade sale 'sold as seen' is in direct violation of consumers/sale of goods act. I don't think we need to get all 'legal' about the issue man, but please respect I'm not an idiot about converting engines etc. This should be notified to the buyer and given your profession your in a position where you should know this info, and even if not it doesn't indemnify you from the act of selling a car with an incorrect engine.

I hope we can sort this out this week.
Thanks,
David

Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 23:47:27 +0000

I cleary stated on the day of purchase i i didnt have time to drive the car as we have vehicles coming and going all the time. Furthermore i then gave you the oppurtunity to test drive the car, any obligations you had should have been stated then and there. That is why the test drive is offered. Futhermore on the receipt it clearly states sold as seen so unfortunately there is nothing more i can do. As you can appreciate i am a very busy person yet i still have answered all your enquiries and helped to fix ur vehicle that you bought with you but i can no longer help you in this matter. I am sorry you feel the way you do but i am a genuine honest seller who gave you as much time and information as i could unfortunately i can do no more.

On 1 Mar 2012, at 23:31, David Longmuir <xxxx> wrote:

Nah but u would have noticed it was nowhere near as quick as an STi given u had a few before? I took it easy home but in 5th 80-100mph takes 10 seconds, it should be 2-3 tops so major difference. You must have a clue man you strip cars and sell parts for a living? I not saying u decieved me but it costs near 2k+ for a decent STi engine so now I gotta fork out another 2k + conversion time + the proper ECU + mapping. I might have to bring car back for refund mate I just cant afford that stuff.

Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 23:26:07 +0000

Seriously mate ? Look iv done what i can to help mechanically i dont know i didnt sit there checkin engine numbers e.t.c. Its half 11 mate i did say if you need anything im here, engine transmision codes i dont have a clue the car drove fine i havent messed with it if thats what your tryin to imply.

On 1 Mar 2012, at 23:04, David Longmuir <xxxx> wrote:

Im not really happy - checked the engine tonight whilst checking for leaks etc. It not a STI engine on it. It a wagon WRX engine 220hp block non forged which would explain the 8S ecu and the chiptorque chip board to run the other Sti bits/TD05. The mapper reckons I'll be lucky to get much more than stock STI performance out of the TD05 whilst keeping that engine reliable, and not be able to push near what the STi block is happy running.
Not to mention the fact if hes passing it off as a private sale I guess he's not paying IR their cut. Private just like the other 8 cars he had lying around trying to sell on.

Last edited by s13silvia; 03 March 2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Email address removed as requested.
Old 02 March 2012, 04:12 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

You might want to remove your e-mail address from your above post
Old 02 March 2012, 04:17 PM
s13silvia
Scooby Regular

Can do - not really sure how it would negatively affect me but sounds like a good idea.

Quick Reply: I'm majorly down on power. Here's why.