Overheating but cold radiator

Search this Thread

Old 20 February 2012, 08:57 PM
2006_wilson
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating but cold radiator

Hello All,
My car is a subaru impreza 2000 turbo My99.
Got in my car to go to work this morning, it was a icy morning.
I cleared my windscreen and then drove down the road to the garage to fill up, filled up and then paid came back to the car and noticed it had leaked a lot of coolant from the front passenger side, so i drove 2 mins down the road to the missus and and the car was overheating and water gushing out of the plastic top up bottle, the header tank and the pipes were hot but the rad was stone cold that confused me so i turned it off and left it, i got home from work and took the thermostat out and then filled the header tank up and let it idle and then put the cap on, 5 mins later it started to overheat after me holding the revs at 2000, the header tank was hot top and bottom pipe was hot but rad freezing cold fans were cutting in and out. Please help and dont tell me its the head gasket pleassss. oil is fine with no water in it and water has no oil in it.
Old 20 February 2012, 09:17 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Drain it completely. You could, at this point, remove the rad and flush it.

Use new antifreeze, mixed to the the correct proportions to refill it.(search is your friend for proportions).

Do a search on here for how to refill it.

Come back and tell us what happens.
Old 20 February 2012, 09:42 PM
swaynie
Scooby Regular

I had this happen on my old car turned out to be the water pump
Old 21 February 2012, 12:28 AM
johnlogie
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thermostat? take it out and check it
Old 02 March 2012, 01:42 PM
2006_wilson
Scooby Regular

Hello guys. My mechanic has advised me that its not the water pump or thermostat and that it is the head gaskets. Said that the heads are probably lifting. He said that he has a device that reads if there are exhaust gases in the water and he said that there is. Does this sound right?
Old 02 March 2012, 02:58 PM
10bats
Scooby Regular

unless you know of any other way that exhaust gasses can get into your water system then i would say that your mechanic is correct. is the device he is on about a block tester?
tube full of blue liquid fixed to top of header tank and liquid turns yellow if cylinder gasses are present.
Old 02 March 2012, 03:22 PM
2006_wilson
Scooby Regular

Hello Bud not 100% sure, but it seems odd as i only had a new block dropped in with new head gaskets a year ago. seems odd for the head gaskets to go that quick and im not pushim much more than the standard power. hope its not caus he has said it is going to be about £600 if not more to repair. Unless anyone knows of any cures without doing the heads???
Old 03 March 2012, 06:46 PM
rosssti
Scooby Regular

ive got the same issue today, car overheating and the rad is cold, ive checked the thermostat and it is opening,,, i think ive got an airlock as the car was fine last week before i had my inlet off and removed my rad....
Old 03 March 2012, 06:55 PM
steve ex vauxhall
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 10bats
unless you know of any other way that exhaust gasses can get into your water system then i would say that your mechanic is correct. is the device he is on about a block tester?
tube full of blue liquid fixed to top of header tank and liquid turns yellow if cylinder gasses are present.
+1 mate.
If he's had a block tester on it and there's gasses in there then thats it unfortunately
Old 03 March 2012, 09:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rosssti
ive got the same issue today, car overheating and the rad is cold, ive checked the thermostat and it is opening,,, i think ive got an airlock as the car was fine last week before i had my inlet off and removed my rad....
So.........go back to MY post, follow instructions, report back
Old 04 March 2012, 10:33 AM
2006_wilson
Scooby Regular

Hello Guys,
So my mechanic was talking crap he didnt even touch the scoob he wanted to charge for the biggest job to make som quick money (DI*K). Ok so i have drained the whole system and refilled, the car runs at normal tempreture with the blowers on hot blowing hot air, then after about 15 mins of driving it starts to overheat again and the blowers go cold every time you put your foot on the clutch. I cant see it being the head gaskets as i only had new ones put on last year when i had a new block put it, and i dint use it friday, saturday and then sunday night i drove home and it was fine, then all of a sudden it overheated on the monday morning on the way to work, <<(this is why i dont think it is the heads as i hadn't driven it when it started happening). Your help will be much appreciated. also every time i open the header tank cap the water all of a sudden goes right down :S is this right or have i not refilled the system correctly???
Old 04 March 2012, 10:42 AM
LegacySTi
Scooby Regular

So you have accused your mechanic of lying with no further proof? Fault with car is still present. Take it away from a garage and seek further advice from lads on a computer?

And yes highly possible head gasket gone again in year. if heads werent skimmed properly. if block itself wasnt stripped and skimmed as well as heads. if cheap gaskets were used etc etc
Old 04 March 2012, 11:15 AM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

If a sniffer test has been done snd combustion gases are present. No two ways about it. Its a head gasket. Take it to another garage. Ask them to do a sniffer test. Even watch them do it. If the blue liquid changes to a greeny yellow colour then the heads need to come off
Old 04 March 2012, 11:34 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Most likely head gasket I'm afraid. Originally it may have been an air lock or overheating from another fault (i.e thermostat or pump spinning on teh shaft) which originally caused it to the overheat and NOW it has since blown the gaskets from it being driven whilst overheating on what appears to be numerous occasions (overheating damages headgaskets).

Becuase the gaskets are new is no guarantee they won't fail. Was the block deck checked, measured, and skimmed/refaced if needed. Was the heads pressure tested, inspecated and measured for warpage and re-faced and skimmed as required (re-face is just to clean theme up, skim if if they are damaged or uneven)?? If the answer is no to any of those, then the gaskets could easily fail.

Then we have to look at the tools...was the torque wrench calibrated? Has it been dropped? And if its a spring loaded wrench has it been left wound onto a particular torque setting for all of its life (you are supposed to wind them back to zero after use to maintain accuracy).

You need to check for the presence of combustion gases in the coolant to confirm the head gaskets are toast. The sniffer test mentioned above, will achieve this.

Last edited by ALi-B; 04 March 2012 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04 March 2012, 11:46 AM
rosssti
Scooby Regular

Is watch the sniff test pal make sure that's the problem. I've diagnosed my problem today, a blocked radiator... I pulled the bottom hose to empty the rad then put it back on, I then filled the rad from the top hose with boiling water from kettle and only half my rad was hot, just thought this may help.
Old 04 March 2012, 11:56 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

You tried removing and back-flushing the rad?

THEN, you must ask yourself where that amount of debris came from...........
Old 04 March 2012, 06:33 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Neglect, thats where it comes from.

Coolant changes every three years, and if using/mixing differing brands of antifreeze to what was used beforehand - fully flushing it out with the hosepipe (rad, block, tanks and heater) until everything runs clear before refilling. Simple things, not always done.

Last edited by ALi-B; 04 March 2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 04 March 2012, 06:55 PM
swaynie
Scooby Regular

you could buy a tester from halfords and do a home test