Notices

WRX Blobeye tuning

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2012, 06:55 PM
S25 DAN
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX Blobeye tuning

Hi again everyone, I'm hoping somebody can help me out with this, I'm wanting to get my '04 wrx to as close to 300bhp as I can (or over) without spending a fortune.
I know that when it comes to things like more power I shouldn't want to be a cheap ***, but I don't think I'm going to be selling this car on (due to pretty high mileage).

My dilemma is this, It's not an old car, and it's been very well looked after, but it has just gone over 160k on the clock, still on it's original clutch, exhaust etc.

Any engine mods that I do to the car are going to be second hand if possible, simply to try and keep the costs down.

Firstly, what do I need to get the bhp up on the car? I'm guessing it will need to be a bigger turbo, STi TMIC and undertray, pink injectors, fuel pump and a remap? Can anyone recommend a turbo?

Secondly, what sort of price am I looking at to purchase these items and get them fitted?

Thirdly, if I put these onto my car, what are the chances of the rest of the engine/gearbox laughing at me and falling to bits?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 16 February 2012, 07:20 PM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

You may be able to get close to 300bhp on your current turbo.
Decat, panel filter, walbro fuel pump, remap should see you around 280-290bhp

If you are set on going over 300bhp then you will also need bigger turbo such as vf34 or 35, sti tmic, undertray, pink injetcors and maybe 3 port boost solenoid. This will see you to 320-330bhp maybe more.

Your gearbox is good for 350bhp

Lots of chat about wrx tuning here: https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...t-you-had.html

Last edited by DonNedly; 16 February 2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 16 February 2012, 09:56 PM
S25 DAN
Scooby Regular

Cheers pal, I'll have a look at the link.
Old 16 February 2012, 11:27 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

unless you can budget for a rebuild etc i wouldnt waste your money with 160k on the car ,with the extra strain naturally you will place on everythin from running gear/engine down to the brakes with 160k your asking for trouble.
Old 17 February 2012, 07:31 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would suggest you save your money for a new engine, gearbox and clutch.

Because you will need all three if you attempt to do anything to the ones in the car at the moment.

Car is worth nothing, so i won't advise you to sell it and buy something newer with less miles.

I'd look out for another wrx or sti engine, wrx engines can be had for £5/600 and gearbox around the same.

I would think about that before you spend money on anything else.

But hey it's your car and your money so do what you like.
Old 17 February 2012, 08:39 PM
S25 DAN
Scooby Regular

Yeah I was thinking about putting a newer engine into.

The only thing is that If I put a new engine into it and give it more power, it's going to need better breaks and suspension aswel.

After the buying all the parts and getting them fitted and set up correctly, I'd possible be half way to buying another scoob with much lower mileage?

So I don't know whether to pile my money into a car that (although immaculate) is high mileage and when/if I can sell it, isn't going to be worth much. Or do I save up and hope that this scoob will last until I've enough for another one with lower mileage.... And then start to tinker with that one.

I'm just craving that little bit more power!!!
Old 17 February 2012, 08:54 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

First thing i'd do is get some decent pads and discs plus 5.1 fluid and braided break hoses, your four pots are fine at this level they just need a bit of tweeking, then id look at handling mods, alk, rear drop links and anti-roll bar and have a corner weighted geo done, a better handling and stopping car is much faster and these mods are worth at least 50bhp, some would say 100.

while doing this keep an eye out for a decent second hand bottom end, then depending where you are get one of the reputable tuners to refresh it using the new bottom end and drop a clutch in at the same time.

i wouldn't bother swopping cars if the one you have is clean, you may get a newer one with less miles, but it will cost a fair bit to get out of yours and into another, and theres no saying it will necessarily be any better.
Old 17 February 2012, 09:10 PM
Gavpo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
First thing i'd do is get some decent pads and discs plus 5.1 fluid and braided break hoses, your four pots are fine at this level they just need a bit of tweeking, then id look at handling mods, alk, rear drop links and anti-roll bar and have a corner weighted geo done, a better handling and stopping car is much faster and these mods are worth at least 50bhp, some would say 100.

while doing this keep an eye out for a decent second hand bottom end, then depending where you are get one of the reputable tuners to refresh it using the new bottom end and drop a clutch in at the same time.

i wouldn't bother swopping cars if the one you have is clean, you may get a newer one with less miles, but it will cost a fair bit to get out of yours and into another, and theres no saying it will necessarily be any better.
+1 I agree
Old 17 February 2012, 10:35 PM
S25 DAN
Scooby Regular

I think I'm going to slowly add things to the scoob I've got, I've a lot of faith in the car, and at the end of the day, if it all goes **** up I'm just going to have to get another car, but that's going to happen at some point anyway.

And at least if I get another scoob I'll be able to transfer the majority of the parts over to the newer one without having to start from scratch.

Cheers for the advice everyone!
Old 17 February 2012, 11:10 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Bug/Blob WRX left the factory pretty much crippled so as not to step on the toes of the STi.

If it's been well looked after I don't see a problem with putting in a good panel filter swapping the possibly tired fuel pump over and open source mapping to 265 ish BHP

The clutch is a service item only, the gearbox won't break sweat at that torque and the engine shouldn't be overstressed.

People run bug / blob WRX internals at a lot higher BHP............

Shaun
Old 17 February 2012, 11:12 PM
S25 DAN
Scooby Regular

It's got the PPP on it so I'm hoping that I'm already at around 265?

I think the de-cat, panel filter, fuel pump and remap will keep me going...... for now
Old 28 September 2012, 01:18 PM
scooby-dan90
Scooby Newbie

Decat down pipe, sports panel filter, new exhaust system then remap =D
Old 21 August 2013, 10:30 PM
Alex Duncan- King
Scooby Newbie

where is the best place to get these types of modded parts?
cheers
Old 22 August 2013, 08:03 AM
adz556
Scooby Regular

Either the for sale section on here, scooby spares or pole position if your after second hand..... Scooby parts, scooby world, scooby clinic to name but a very few of those available