Suspension Questions

Search this Thread

Old 14 February 2012, 09:34 PM
Tegra Boy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Questions

Hi All,

I have just bought a 2003 blob UK STI, I had a 2005 a few years ago which was lowered on Tein springs, it handled ok but now I have the chance to mod my new one I want get everything spot on.

My question is this, for a car that I will drive everyday what is the best option for handling/comfort. I want to track it as well as commute with it so do I . . . .

A) Tein springs on stock shocks
B) Eibach springs on stock dampers
C) Coil overs - can these be both comfortable and improve handing or are they just stiff and hard.

Many thanks

Chris
Old 16 February 2012, 07:57 AM
eclipse performance
Former Sponsor

Hi Chris. A lot depends on what you are happy to spend. If you dont have a big budget then Id go for a set of Tein lowering springs on your standard shocks. They will stiffen it up enough to be ok ish on the track, but they obviously have their limitations. If you can spend around £820 then go for the Super Street coil overs, or £1,000 for the Super Street with top mounts for camber adjustment.

The coil overs will give you the option to stiffen it up for the track (16 adjustments) then soften it back of for daily use.
Old 16 February 2012, 09:08 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tegra Boy
Hi All,

I have just bought a 2003 blob UK STI, I had a 2005 a few years ago which was lowered on Tein springs, it handled ok but now I have the chance to mod my new one I want get everything spot on.

My question is this, for a car that I will drive everyday what is the best option for handling/comfort. I want to track it as well as commute with it so do I . . . .

A) Tein springs on stock shocks
B) Eibach springs on stock dampers
C) Coil overs - can these be both comfortable and improve handing or are they just stiff and hard.

Many thanks

Chris
I would suggest posting up your question in the suspension forum, but generally speaking Tein lowering springs (S-techs, etc) are considered poor performance springs, and great 'lookers', ie they make your car look good as they lower it by quite a bit, but in actual fact they over lower, creating negative handling issues. To say they have an awful reputation is putting it mildly, sorry.
Old 17 February 2012, 07:29 AM
Tegra Boy
Scooby Regular

Sounds like coilovers are are the way forward then.

Many thanks chaps

Chris