Notices

Another "whats the difference" post, but with a twist!?

Search this Thread

Old 06 February 2012, 09:32 PM
mad_mackem
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another "whats the difference" post, but with a twist!?

Hi All,

I have moved over to Toronto recently and I am looking at getting into the local clubman rally scene as i had initially intended to do in the uk before I moved. A friend of mine has an ex works sti and has just sold another sti rally car which was built up from an s202, he had always said to me back home not to bother with starting with a WRX as they werent as suited to rally as the STIs were and that it would need a fair bit of money spending on it to get it up to the same standard. So taking all his points on board I have started to look around for an STI in toronto and had a bit of a shock. In the UK i have seen 03 sti going for circa 6-7k but in Canada they are more like 12k sterling, where as a WRX can be bought for funnily enough 5-6k sterling. So you can probably see where this is going.... where would my money need to be invested in a wrx to bring it to a similar standard as an STI? im new to rallying so I am not looking for an all conquering car, just something that is going to be strong and perform well enough. With a difference in 6k between the two models this would go someway to paying for the competition preperation ie roll cage, seats and harness etc. But what would i need to do with the remaining money, engine mods, brakes, suspension etc. Again im not neccesarily looking for power, more for general all round performance on a loose surface. If i were to buy an STI would i end up changing the same parts as i would on a WRX anyway?

sorry for the repetitive nature of the tread, but any help anyone could give would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Andy
Old 06 February 2012, 10:15 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Sti has a stronger engine, 6 Speed box which is very strong compared to the WRX`s 5 speed, Sti also has bigger turbo, Bigger injectors, Better suspension and bigger and better brakes, With an exhaust swap panel filter and fuel pump an sti will run 330/330 all day with no problems, so just cross of the list what you would change, Hope this helps.
Old 07 February 2012, 09:13 PM
mad_mackem
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for your post Gaz,

sounds like it is worth spending the extra on an STI then!
Old 07 February 2012, 10:37 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best will be for you as above STi,but mainly depends for what power you are looking and mainly if this car will be entering competitions

Jura
Old 08 February 2012, 02:05 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

It would depend alot on the regs of competition your entering. Yes the sti will give more power with the mods listed above. Are those mods aloud within the reg of the comp your going to enter? the sti supension is better but would probably need changing anyway for what your looking at doing so no difference there. The sti 6 speed box is certainly stonger but the gear ratios of the 5 speed may be better for rallying.