Notices

Overheating issue but NO hot air in car??

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2012, 02:03 PM
bikerboy79
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating issue but NO hot air in car??

Help please!!!

My car gets warms slowly and then suddenly gets really hot.

If you stop and leave the car ticking over its fine. Still no hot air through fans but as soon as you drive the car it overheats again.

Thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, I thought maybe a thermostat issue?? or possibly radiator???

Last edited by bikerboy79; 04 February 2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04 February 2012, 02:24 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 747 Likes on 620 Posts

Waterpump ??

Heater is circulated via bypass system, so either air locked or no flow.
Old 04 February 2012, 02:50 PM
cookie sti
Scooby Regular

sounds like an airlock have you recently had any work done on the water cooling system ie coolant change?
Old 04 February 2012, 03:13 PM
bikerboy79
Scooby Regular

Now that is the question what it is,

I break scoobys i usually pick up ones with heads gone or big ends gone.

I picked this one up last night off a bloke have in a mid life crisis he had only had her for 4 weeks when this happened, he was told by a no mark mechanic who just popped the hod the head gasket had gone how he new that from just looking i don't know.
Im reluctant to scrap this one as its in good nic with only 80k on the clock and i may get more selling im only a pat time mechanic so im still learning on scoobys.
Old 04 February 2012, 03:24 PM
stedee
Scooby Regular

no heat through the heaters is lack of water getting to the matrix so there`s an airlock, whether there`s an underlying issue you wont know until you get rid of airlock
Old 04 February 2012, 03:27 PM
cookie sti
Scooby Regular

i would bleed the system as much as poss then start leaving the cap off and check that you have a steady flow of return water from the small pipe on top of the expansion bottle and the heaters get warm, once you have that make sure the level is all ok then put the cap on take for a good blat then check that there is not excessive presure in the hoses let it cool and recheck the levels and make sure the heaters stay warm.
scoobies can be a real pig when it comes to airlock i have found out so many times and they dont always show up at 1st
Old 04 February 2012, 03:33 PM
bikerboy79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookie sti
i would bleed the system as much as poss then start leaving the cap off and check that you have a steady flow of return water from the small pipe on top of the expansion bottle and the heaters get warm, once you have that make sure the level is all ok then put the cap on take for a good blat then check that there is not excessive presure in the hoses let it cool and recheck the levels and make sure the heaters stay warm.
scoobies can be a real pig when it comes to airlock i have found out so many times and they dont always show up at 1st
Cheers for that lads ill get out there in the snow and have a go

Trending Topics

Old 04 February 2012, 04:27 PM
bikerboy79
Scooby Regular

Can i *** get my it to warm up in side the car driving me mad now its snowing right i can get the pipes to heat up only when the caps are off once i put them on both go cold again am i missing a trick here
Old 04 February 2012, 04:58 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

No heater = no circulation, airlock, blockage (in the matrix) or broken heater controls

Overheating, again look at airlock, no circulation or blockage (in the radiator)

Airlock can be caused by a leak in the system, lack of coolant, leaking waterpump shaft seal (sucking in air and causing cavitation) or blown head gasket(s)

If its been allowed to boil, then its probably popped the head gasket(s) anyway...you probably find combustion gasses are getting into the cooling system and airlocking it...with teh caps off it allows it to vent out the sytem which may explain why the heater works when the cap is removed.

You need to do a pressure check, and also a sniff test on the main coolant tank for combustion gasses.

Last edited by ALi-B; 04 February 2012 at 04:59 PM.
Old 04 February 2012, 05:35 PM
bikerboy79
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
No heater = no circulation, airlock, blockage (in the matrix) or broken heater controls

Overheating, again look at airlock, no circulation or blockage (in the radiator)

Airlock can be caused by a leak in the system, lack of coolant, leaking waterpump shaft seal (sucking in air and causing cavitation) or blown head gasket(s)

If its been allowed to boil, then its probably popped the head gasket(s) anyway...you probably find combustion gasses are getting into the cooling system and airlocking it...with teh caps off it allows it to vent out the sytem which may explain why the heater works when the cap is removed.

You need to do a pressure check, and also a sniff test on the main coolant tank for combustion gasses.
Thanks for the reply sorry the heater doesnt warm up in the car at all with the caps on or off just the rad pipes heat up with the cap off.

If it snows much more i may be buried alive in the engine
Old 05 February 2012, 11:38 AM
mach
Scooby Regular

try thermostat,mine went dodgy and wasn't opening properly just enough to get pressure but not enough flow to keep the temp gauge down normal.just a thought though.
Old 05 February 2012, 11:41 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bikerboy79
Help please!!!

My car gets warms slowly and then suddenly gets really hot.

If you stop and leave the car ticking over its fine. Still no hot air through fans but as soon as you drive the car it overheats again.

Thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated, I thought maybe a thermostat issue?? or possibly radiator???
Drain and refill S L O W L Y.

Do a search on here for how to.

Thermostats stick OPEN, which means that the engine doesn't get warm enough, not overheats.
Old 10 March 2013, 04:23 PM
RSF1
Scooby Regular

did you solve the problem mate??