Notices

2002 WRX STi type uk PPP - But TLC required... Suspension, Wheels & Tyres advice?

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2012, 11:41 AM
Gallen
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 WRX STi type uk PPP - But TLC required... Suspension, Wheels & Tyres advice?

Hi there.

Firstly I should say hello again! It's my first time back to posting on Scoobynet since selling my Classic to a mate a year or so ago now.

Anyway, I saw my old car just after Christmas and realised how much I missed the flat 4 rumble... Its such a cliche but very true!

Cue looking on eBay for HOURS every day. Initially I was looking at classics, but then the Newage prices attracted me... But for what I was thinking if spending I couldnt afford the beast I wanted. However persistance along with a bit of luck I ended up buying over the phone. After a 12 hour round trip, I now have a 2002/02 WRX STi Bugeye Type uk with the PPP kit and 6 speed box!!

Happy doesn't even begin to describe it! :-D
(you may have seen her on eBay 2 weeks ago).

I bought her as a bit of a project.
That sounds a bit harsh as she looks almost pristine and has clearly been loved - BUT under the surface of the wax and shiny paint she does need a bit of money throwing at her to get her back to how she should be.

First job:
I am looking to fully replace the suspension; All 4 x shocks,springs etc*(the shocks on the car are the red type) as the rear n/s suspension on mine has collapsed. I could get away with replacing the shock (a possibility and cheapest option)... but want to keep the car mint so might do all 4 if I can find a set.

- I have heard that the STi type UK PPP "may have" an extra fitting bracket for an addition anti roll bar? (i'm not an expert yet - so you guys will know more about this than me obviously!!!) Basically I just need the right ones!

Also at the top of the suspension uprights, my freind who is doing the work on my car has told me that there are alloy-type spacers which are in place in-between the shocks/chassis to heighten the suspension and ride height (PPP?) and therefore longer bolts are needed. I need these too as mine are a bit grotty.

Anyhow, I've reached the following place:

Option 1:
Replace with good used suspension. (If anyone has the suspension I need please get in touch!)

Option 2:
Replace with new suspension.
Can anybody suggest anything that would be appropriate for my car? I want to retain the stock ride height and do not want to lower the car.
To be fair there's nothing 'wrong' with the springs, so could re-use.
Also I expect Subaru New parts would be mega expensive so are there any aftermarket options that may even offer an upgrade from factory fitment?
(I'm always a little dubious about this and want to steer clear of cheapy import stuff, but if somethings genuinely good, tried and tested then that's cool!).

Option 3:
Coilovers.
I wont beat around the bush. This area I know nothing about....but from reading a few things on here it MAY be an option.

Geometry/Tracking & wheels/tyres.
Wow - what can I say? Well I reckon when it was last tracked it was done badly by eye LOL. I need 4 x new tyres. I've really seen nothing like the tyre wear on my car and resulting in severe belt exposure on both rears, with the fronts not being much better.

This now presents another decision:
replace 17" tyres retaining the original gold wheels.
OR
upgrade to 18" Alloys and get a deal on the tyres.

I've seen the 18" Redline's on eBay (assuming these will go over the Brembos?) I'd probably stick with Gold as this is original on my car and I like it :-)

These are the alloys I've seen - opinions?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18-ALLOY-W...-/110662699378

Any advice and opinions appreciated.

And it's good to be back.

Gallen.
Old 22 January 2012, 12:51 PM
scooby red
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Camskill for standard shocks. Still kyb but gold in colour not red. Did mine last october, bout cheapest I could find.
Old 22 January 2012, 01:26 PM
fawor
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

standard shocks vs apex coilovers near to the same price i think
about redlines ask m444gy here he could help / do deal with tyres