Notices

99 Impreza Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 30 April 2002, 06:57 PM
MKC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I am having my engine replaced under its extended warrenty, after a failure of something caused number 2 or 3 cylinder to be burnt up and full of holes. They have just told me that it has a non-standard panel filter (I brought car last year and did not know) and that they have found bits of plastic in the thin boost pipes !! where someone has tried to up the boost at some time.

The car is slow enough as it is so I think its unlikely that it would have been running at a higher than standard boost (as my old modded Rover 620 turbo would currently blow it away in a 50 to 150 run !!). It came from a Subaru dealer and two lots of Subaru engineers have driven it and not mentioned that it was any quicker or boostier than normal.

Does anyone know of any cheats/mods/etc that involve inserting some kind of restriction in the boost control pipes anywhere on the engine??(they did not say where exactly). Any suggestions why it may have caused an engine failure (assuming boost was not higher than standard).

Many thanks in advance...

MKC
Old 30 April 2002, 07:28 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the MAP sensor line had a restrictor in it and the restrictor at the outlet of the turbo was changed then it could run any boost you liked. But if they sold it to you like that they should honour their warranty?

[Edited by john banks - 4/30/2002 7:28:36 PM]
Old 30 April 2002, 07:55 PM
MKC
Scooby Regular

Thanks...from what you are saying, is it possible to buy a "restrictor", which I assume is some kind of plastic tube, to up the boost...?...if something is embedded in the pipes with no external holes or other connections, does the pressure in the pipe not remain the same ??? Ta...MKC
Old 30 April 2002, 08:51 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you put a restriction in any pipe with a gas flowing through it you will cause a pressure drop. If this happens to be before a feedback circuit or control sensor you can adjust the boost.

You can use brass restrictors - you can find existing ones and change their calibre, or you can even change T-pieces to different flowing items.

[Edited by john banks - 4/30/2002 8:52:49 PM]
Old 30 April 2002, 10:27 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
its normal for small jets to be used in the waste gate control feed pipes to alter the boost the engine sees. This is something that a subaru dealer will change the bore of if they are seeing overboost problems.

Now if someone thought they were a smart **** and decided to make their own boost jets they could have made that from any material they liked. The jets used on a cosworth for example are made from nylon, not brass, maybe someone put a cosworth jet in there?

Whatever, if you bought the car with the aftermarket panel filter with the waranty then i would say you shoud be covered. good luck.
Old 02 May 2002, 06:23 PM
MKC
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all of that info...I am not sure what they have done, but its up and running now. Had to pay for the air filter (standard one), but got the K&N one back in a box.

Hope that have not removed the restrictors completely.

Got to keep it below 4k whilst running in, but
will be able to tell if its down or up on power.

Under the warrentee I had a short engine, both heads, turbo and other stuff which came to £4700 incl vat for the parts alone. Glad I got the extended warrentee !!!

We will see...hopefully all will now be well...

MKC