Notices

boost guage fail ?

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2012, 11:39 PM
initialD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boost guage fail ?

hi all , my boost guage has stopped working ! it still lights up fine so dont think its electrical ? also i checked the silicone hosing / t-piece and no splits ! car seems to boost fine a little fluttery in third , but soon picks up pace . what could this be ? its not very old and its an apexi guage so good quality .
could it be boost solonoid ? and what benefits would i get from fitting a 3 port boost solonoid ? my car is an 02 wrx

thanks for any help

Dave
Old 12 January 2012, 12:51 AM
GezP
Scooby Regular

hello mate

I'm not sure if this is gonna help much but it is worth changing the boost silicon pipe. The one supplied with my ProSport gauges was pants. Soon as the engine heated up, the pipe went like spaghetti and just collapsed and the readings were off. Changed mine with some pipe from SFS and you can feel a real difference in the quality when fitting.

Personally I don't know what the benefits are between 2 to 3 port. I've been told the 2 port on the hawkeye isn't bad but on the bug and blob they should be changed.
Old 12 January 2012, 10:17 AM
initialD
Scooby Regular

i have fitted silicone hosing and has been working fine for weeks . it stopped working after i had my car mapped so boost was increased to 1.5bar , im thinking that has caused the problem ?
Old 12 January 2012, 01:28 PM
initialD
Scooby Regular

got day off today so had a proper investigate of all pipework and visible wire damage ? and all looks fine ! when you turn on ignition the boost guage is meant to do a demo and it doesnt ? so maybe it is electrical after all ? just strange that it went wrong after it was mapped for more boost anyway i just removed a small silicone pipe that goes to turbocharger and noticed it was blocked by a piece of plastic ? i was thinking what the hell is it for ?surely it can be doin any good restricting flow , so i removed it and took car for a spin only to find it had no boost oh thats what it does now it makes sense !! and now it seems to boost even better than before
i really shouldnt touch things i know nothing about lol
Old 12 January 2012, 01:48 PM
The Pink Ninja
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That will be your restrictor pill, small pipe from the actuator and turbo that t's off to the boost solenoid, leave it alone!!

Lol
Old 12 January 2012, 01:51 PM
initialD
Scooby Regular

havnt touched anything !!
dont know what your on about ?